New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Post by Saxondog »

I found this in one of my older post,it is a good shot of the ammo used in several different guns.
panzer amunition.jpg
panzer amunition.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
magmer
Lance Corporal

Post by magmer »

Wow this is turning into a real tank battle! :lolno:
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Woz,
I know that this is a silly question but you mention that ...
"In 1945, at least two Mk V tank leftovers were used by German garrison in defense of Berlin. It's unknown whom the tanks were captured from. Both tanks were destroyed in the subsequent battle in Berlin.
Please can I ask :{ ....which Mk V tank are you refering to and from which country ???
Alb
.......The pictures of that Tank Ammo are AWSOME.....just imagine the power/ force that is contained inside the largest shell....when it is fired !!! ...... I must also admit that it would be a nice little collection to have in ones study/ den :haha:
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

I beleive the last three shells are panther 75mm,tiger 1 88mm and king tiger 88mm....
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Mustclime,
The 88 x 822r = King Tiger
http://www.warstuff.com/detail.asp?id=1 ... nert-Round" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 88 x 571r =.....rather more guns than I expected..PHEW..its a bit of a list......but it includes the Tiger 1...
8.8 cm Flak 18 New semi-automatic breech, high velocity gun. Entered production in Germany in 1933. Used the Sonderanhänger 201 trailer. Weight 7 tonnes. Rate of fire 15 to 20 rounds per minute. Later, fitted with a gun shield to protect the crew when engaging ground targets. Produced by Krupp.
Mod 1938 II: Approximately 50 guns modified so a single man could adjust elevation and traverse.
8.8 cm Flak 36 Entered service 1936–37. It used the redesigned trailer Sonderanhänger 202 enabling faster time to action from the move. The SdAnh 202 had twin wheels on two similar carriages. Could engage ground targets from its traveling position. Weight 7 tonnes. Rate of fire 15 to 20 rounds per minute. Produced by Krupp. Later, fitted with a shield to protect the crew when engaging ground targets.
8.8 cm KwK 36: Main gun of the PzKw VI Ausf. E (Tiger I) tank. Despite its designation, some classify it as a parallel development with very similar specifications rather than a derivative of the Flak 36.
8.8 cm Flak 37: An updated version of the Flak 36, the main difference being Übertragungser 37 (a data transmission system). Produced by Krupp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_Flak_18/36/37/41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 75 x 640r = KwK 42 L/70 (Panther etc)
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ammotable8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spot on with your answers mate.. :thumbup:
Just as a comparisson.....look at the first shell...the 37 x 249r used in...WW2 PaK 36 AT / AFV + FlaK M42 (thick rim)...so probably the 37mm German early war Anti-tank gun.....then ignore the others and just look at the last shell.............
the 88 x 822r.....of the King Tiger....what a remarkable difference in 3 to 4 years ( Since the KT first produced in 1943 )
'Necessity may be the mother of invention' as the saying goes....in which case WAR...MUST be the Father :haha:
Alb.
Never Forget......
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Guys,
On the subject of shells, or rather shell cases...I am lucky enough to have 2....the first I am delighted to say is a German 88mm. The 88mm is interesting in that the brass case is stamped 1940 but the fuse is stamped 1943...So I guess that it got 'recycled'...the second is a British 4.5 inch shell case.......I have tried to photograph the stamping but they are a real bitch to light right so that all the stamp can be seen......I am a bit reluctant to 'Clean the 88mm too much 'as it will ruin the patina.....I think that it has been in a fire...and it is unlikely to be a Panzer round :( .....but it is still an 88mm :haha:
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
MOST IMPORTANT LITTLE STAMP..... :haha:
IMG_6895.JPG
IMG_6897.JPG
IMG_6898.JPG
IMG_6905.JPG
British 4.5 Inch WD shell with the Crows Foot
IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG
The4.5 Inch Shell-Case weighs a 'flippin ton' compared to the 88mm
Never Forget......
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9UdRHoaAc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

this link shows the 822 as a king tiger shell....

http://www.warstuff.com/detail.asp?id=1 ... nert-Round" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mustclime on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

And the best Tank of WW2 was....... infact british due to its very good armour design reliable engine and transmission also its been accredited as such by the famous Steve zaloga

no still not know which one??

forget German armour it was good but yes unreliable with exception to the pz1 through 4 (light tanks?)

anything above that forget it and walk :O

you also must remember the British were very good at not destroying everything in there path as the americans and germans were (With exception to the R.A.F and U.S.A.A.F :/ ) which also had an effect on operational responsibilities
the allies also had almost total air superiority and the jerries god bless there socks would have been having a nightmare watching out for those marauding mustangs spits and lightnings wandering the skies

my choice also would be the cent yes it got there late but as it was designed in 43 still gets it into that time frame in my book

Great post Sax enjoyed reading through all that lot very inspiring my hat off to you sir :D :D :thumbup:
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi mustclime,
The link does show the last shell to be a King Tiger round.........I posted it to agree with what you said about the 3 right-hand shells in the picture .....as being Panther, Tiger 1 and King Tiger :thumbup:
Alb
Never Forget......

Return to “General Discussion”