New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Saxondog
Captain

New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Post by Saxondog »

I recently asked a question on another thread,it is simply this...

Given the choice of 10 to 1 odds on any WWII Battlefield which tank would you chose to command??

My choice being the mid production Tiger. Against either 10-Sherman's,or 10 T34/85 and an open Eastern Front battlefield.

More firepower,more Armor,more ammunition and the advantage of 3000m armor piercing penetration.

Please give common answers, tank,battle opponent,and front.and reason for choice of tank, Let the battle begin. cheers
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
JayBrd
Lance Corporal

Re: New debate on the issue of your choice in battle

Post by JayBrd »

To no suprise I would rather have a Panther (late G). Armor is still good, mobility is a tad better with being lighter. As well as the long barrel of it still gives the 75mm enough punch to take out heavies at distance... plus they're so darn cute :haha:

Mobility and good tatics are the sole key to success :thumbup:
Streiken Sie schnellen, Streik hart!!
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

I like this post
Assuming fuel and ammunition is not a concern
Personally I would take the lead in Tiger late production. Western or Eastern, Sherman or T-34 as long as it is summer it doesn't matter. In the Winter I would choose the Western front. Yes I am Canadian but that doesn't mean I have to like the cold lol.
The reason for my choice is in fact quite simple.
I would love to see the numbers game play out.
Realisticly the Sherman wasn't that much faster than a Tiger on paper.
And the T-34 was a mass produced tin can. Verses a Panzer 4 a T-34 might have an advantage but against a Tiger it is clearly outclassed.

Too bad this is all a moot point though as the truest choice I would have would be a Tempest or Typhoon, possibly a Mosquito. The flying Tanks had more of an effect than anything else.
Without air support and a limited German fuel supply I personally do not believe the allies would have won. In my opinion truly killed Germany was the constant air threat. Bombed 24 hours a day and you can not produce. At this juncture in history air power was the deciding factor in all theaters of war.
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

AIR POWER IS ABSOLUTELY the deciding factor of World War II on any battlefield, the P47 an ugly flying engine with a tremendous bomb load as well,turned the tide of battle.

But in a strictly ground combat engagement tank to tank what is the one tank of choice? And if that is a Super Sherman against 10 pzIII's well ok,Just consider 10 to 1 odds,and any battle field of the war.What is your survival tank of choice?

Have fun,and lets just see how this plays out tankers. I'm sticking with the Tiger mid production against all adversaries.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
magmer
Lance Corporal

Post by magmer »

It would be a Panther G with stand off anti aircraft armour, infra red night sight, lots of fuel and ammo !!
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

Personally id go for A willys Jeep and ride off in the opposite direction as fast as I could! :D
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

:think: You might win a battle in a Gerrman tank, but you wont win the war..... :think:
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Personally id go for A willys Jeep and ride off in the opposite direction as fast as I could!
Love that one .... :haha: :haha: :haha:
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

Andy in Cheltenham wrote::think: You might win a battle in a Gerrman tank, but you wont win the war..... :think:
uh oh and the can of beans has been opened gonna hijack this thread for one post

Andy
Firstly why not?? take Japan and Russia out of the equation and suddenly Allies/Germany have a different concept.
On land the Allies have nothing to compare to German Armour, troop for troop the Axis is a much more prepared and dedicated soldier than the Allied troops.In the Air Germany certainly leap frogged anything the Allies had with the ME262 and it would have been some time before the Allies caught up British and US jets were ...well lacking to say the least. Yet the BF109 could hold its own against most if not all allied planes. The Spitfire won in the BOB because of fuel and not so much anything else. ( I will get killed for that comment :{ )
Without being bombed to death German Armour production would have soared and in fact monthly Panther production was never really that bad. At a 5 to 1 kill ratio Germany only needed 8,000 panthers. I would say a reasonable production number.

At the end of the day all arguements will roll back to what is on the ground and Germany had the advantage vs the Allies IF you exclude the eastern front.
Glad we won but if Hitler wasn't a Jack Rabbit and he listened to the few good Generals he had we would all have a Panther tank from the age of 14 to 65. ;)
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
magmer
Lance Corporal

Post by magmer »

If we are talking about getting out of Dodge and leaving the battle, I would go for a Hellcat, as fast as a Jeep and more stable on the bends. You also have a capable weapon for any close encounters.

Return to “General Discussion”