It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Sass- Thank you. It's finally getting close! Eastern- He makes a good product, however it requires a bit of fitting. The biggest issue was the turret rotation. Take your time and fit it well before painting!

-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I am finishing up the small details and noted that the hatches were void of detail on the latch side. I needed a lever with a knob, a handle and a pad. I wound up using a spare hatch handle, an old style straight pin and a piece of plastic rod for the handle and I used a .015 plastic base and miliput to make the pad. Here is the completed product.

-Dan 8)
Attachments
Hatch Door Primed.jpg
Hatch Door Primed.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Hatch Door Unprimed.jpg
Hatch Door Unprimed.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Last edited by X82d Pathfinder on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

Great work, incredible attention to detail!
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, ElMod Jagdpanther G2, ElMod KV-1E, ElMod StuG 40 G
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Thank you again. I resolved the elevation issues and I can now paint the turret. The end is near! lol
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Well, after my hiatus I will be posting the completion of this build. For those that were following, I apologize for the delay.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

And it's about time, too - the withdrawl symptoms have been severe!

Seriously, Dan, I am looking forward very much to seeing the completion of your build. It will certainly be the benchmark for other builds; partly because you've done such a great job, and partly because you have shown all the details in photographs as you've gone along.
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Sass- I have had family in and out since the end of December. It's been a busy first three months. I should be able to get back to some me time, at least for a few months. My step daughter is getting married in October, so I am sure by September we'll be back to that grind and going back and forth to NY is going to be pure joy.( not) lol
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Well, I didn't take all the pictures I should have, but here are the electronics less the custom made speaker enclosure. It's complete, just not mounted for this group of pictures. As you can see, a smoker can be installed in a Tamiya Sherman, but not without a lot of work. The custom made exhaust pipes are shown to good effect here, as is the modified Heng Long smoke unit. ( Thanks, Norm) You can see the LiPo battery, the Novac battery cut off circuit is mounted below the receiver. The LED glows blue and flashes when the battery is getting close to cut off. I didn't want it to show on the exterior, so it rest inside. I will be posting the exterior as I finish mounting the final bits of equipment and the final phases of weathering.
Attachments
Sherman smoker mounted.jpeg
Sherman electronics front.jpeg
Sherman electronics bay.jpg
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

There seemed to be a bit of controversy regarding the use of the Browning M2 .50 on Fireflies. After a bit more research the issue seemed to stem from over and under growth in Normandy, and the inability to store the weapon on the back of the turret like their U.S. counterparts, which caused entanglement and often being discarded in the field.
I built an M1919, the ammo can holder, pintle and mount. I also used the turned brass .30 rounds and belt linked them being some felt it more appropriate for a Firefly.
Attachments
M1919 A1.jpg
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Well, I keep telling everyone I'm almost done. Well, I AM! Here are the pictures of a year's worth of work.. Off and on of course. Feel free to comment. I don't mind critique either. Enjoy! There will be about three pages of photos.

-Dan :wave:
Attachments
Lower from front bogie.jpeg
Lower from front bogie.jpeg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Left rear shot.jpeg
Left rear shot.jpeg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Front nose from above.jpeg
Front nose from above.jpeg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Exhaust  tow bar.jpeg
Exhaust tow bar.jpeg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Drive sproket.jpeg
Drive sproket.jpeg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Bogie.jpeg
Bogie.jpeg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Rear Direct.jpeg
Rear Direct.jpeg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Left front head on.jpeg
Front shot barrel foward.jpeg
Front shot barrel foward.jpeg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

Return to “Tamiya Builds”