It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Has anyone seen these yet? I would love to have a set, however the Mato supplier in Canada doesn't return E-mail.
I think I'll drop Dave a PM, I bet he knows when and where!
I would rather start with these right out of the gate instead of working with the plastic units.

-Dan
Attachments
Sherman Metal Bogies and wheels!
Sherman Metal Bogies and wheels!
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Well, I decided to set up YouTube to show the elevation and the recoil of the Firefly 1C turret I just completed. I have yet to add the cast texture as I will save that for last, or until I am stuck awaiting parts again. I'd love feedback for those who wish.

-Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVAhkQko4DU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

This continues to be a great Firefly build, Dan. I am taking notes & saving pictures to help me with my own - all of your details are both well thought-out and well executed. I enjoyed watching the video of how smoothly the barrel recoils & elevates, too. And you're right - it does look funny sitting on the larger Tiger hull; I didn't realize the difference in size between the two turrets.

With these new metal bogies, and the option of converting a Tamiya sprocket to work with these tracks; all we need now is a metal idler wheel for a pretty bullet-proof set of running gear.

-Mike
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Mike:

Thank you again. I used all the reference material I could find. Many color photos of the different variants that I could find. I did what I could with the idler. I had the idlers bored on a lathe to 7MM and used 7X4 MM flanged bearings. Being the plastic on the Mato idler is so thin, I reinforced them with Miliput before having them bored out. It worked well. I'll post pictures of that tomorrow.

I agree that Mato, Impact or someone else needs to come up with a metal idler bracket and idler wheel. If they do release the T54 metal tracks it will be almost a necessity for durability reasons.

The metal componets will be the answer to Tamiya durability. I look forward to seeing them.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I finally completed the turret. I tried to catch all the details I noted on the protptype. I even put the spot light cover on with the retainer chain. Anyway, here it is in Tamiya primer post completing the cast texture with Mr. Dissolved Putty. I'm starting the hull before I do the suspension next, Enjoy!

-Dan
Attachments
2011-09-0222.23.50.jpg
2011-09-0222.23.50.jpg (17.11 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.23.25.jpg
2011-09-0222.23.25.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.22.53.jpg
2011-09-0222.22.53.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.22.21.jpg
2011-09-0222.22.21.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.21.31.jpg
2011-09-0222.21.31.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.20.45.jpg
2011-09-0222.20.45.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
2011-09-0222.20.23.jpg
2011-09-0222.20.23.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I completed both of the fire extinguishers common only to commonwealth armor.
A bit of plastic tube, plastic hex rod, a punched circle and brass .028 rod.

-Dan
Attachments
Extinguisher.jpg
Extinguisher.jpg (6.8 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
Last edited by X82d Pathfinder on Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

You have an ability to pull off the detail-work very well! I look at your goal-post bracket (first time I ever saw anyone do that), the antennae bracket/guard, drilling out the holes in the TC's sight, and the modifed periscope guard; and I am just blown away by the realism.

And you are so casual about it, like how you said you made the extinguisers - "I just used a little bit of this and a little bit of that" - I wouldn't have been able to do as good a job if I'd have had a KIT to work with!

I will look forward to seeing your work on the hull - I know that it will be worth watching as well. Thank you for sharing your efforts. -Mike
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Mike:
Surprisingly this build has come along pretty easy thus far. I am hoping it continues to be enjoyable. I haven't been frustrated enough to throw parts.. Yet. LOL

My real concern will be when I start the suspension in earnest. I will either take a little bit from YHR, Tailend Charlie and Grimmarmazet, or I will work from the metal bogies and make a spring cover. I will have to see them before I figure out how to go about modifying them. I think I have figured out in my head how to make the YHR/Tailend charlie modification work much better.

Anyway, thank you for the compliments and I am glad you're enjoying the build. I see few other comments here thus far.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Hello all:

I apologize for the long break in posting. I have just got back into this in earnest. I will be posting updates and pictures again here in the next few days. I'm not too far from paint.

Has anyone worked with the Nick Aguilar M4A1 cast upper hull? What was the fix for turret to turret splash shield clearance issues? It seems to rub around the bottom edge. I noted that Grim had built an M4A1 75 sherman with these parts. I presume he had the same issue.

Anyway, as always. This is my first modified build. Any suggestions are always welcome.

-Dan
DRAGONWAGON
Lance Corporal

Post by DRAGONWAGON »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting this excellent SBS! Since I'm new in this 1:16 hobby (Normally I'm in the 1:35 statics) this thread is a great help for me.
I'm starting my Tamiya m4(105) very soon, when all the ordered AM has arrived, and will use your project as a guide (that is: if you don't mind....)

Thanks for posting and keep the progress-pics coming please!

Grtz, John "McSherman"
Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS Sherman
Tamiya Tiger I early version
Tamiya Pz.Kpfw.182 Tiger II "Königs Tiger"

Return to “Tamiya Builds”