my now dead grandad

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
daredemontriple6
Recruit

my now dead grandad

Post by daredemontriple6 »

my dad's dad or my grandad was a bren gunner in north Africa however he was caught and spent the rest of the war in a pow camp. my dad found his diary one day and we had a look inside, you probably think it was full of things about the camp and the officers and his friends but no, it all concerned FOOD! every single page was about how hungry he was!

his name was frank jeanes and one of the few things he told my dad about the war was 'those bren guns kicked so hard it felt like it would take your arm off!' he served in the duke of conwall light infantry but unfortunately i don't know much more about his military service.

if you know something about him (i highly doubt anyone does) feel free to post it here

yours truly
jack
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Re: my now dead grandad

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

I'm sure there are ways of finding out more about what he did. Both my Grandads served, one was Anti Aircraft shooting down Doodle bugs and the other was a dispatch rider, luckily neither were captured.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

I've heard this site is good for finding out about ancestors:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jdflute
Private

Post by jdflute »

The Army keep service records which you can request copies of, there are three forms you need to fill in and they are as follows:

1. ARMY PERSONNEL RECORDS AND FAMILY INTEREST ENQUIRIES
2. Request for Service Details of a deceased Ex-Serviceman/Woman Certificate of Kinship
3. Ministry of Defence Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request (SAR) Form

Contact

Army Personnel Centre
MS Support Division
Parliamentary & Disclosure Branch
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 555
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
GLASGOW
G2 8EX

THe forms can be downloaded from here

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html