Can you tell what it is yet? Begins with S......e

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Begins with S......e

Post by Saxondog »

This is just amazing, I really would like to be able to build in this scale. But as you have said a lottery win is needed. :thumbup: :clap:
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

I am not sure it's a lottery win to make it from scratch, it depends on how much you can do yourself. If you draw your own plan and cut your own plywood, balsa, fibreglass resin then it's possible to make it for less than a full spec Tamiya 1/16 tank. What I have found to be expensive is sourcing say original parts. I can understand that mention Spitfire and it adds noughts to the price. Two original rusty wheels with perished tyres I have seen for £850, or £550 for a dashboard, or some rusty bent metal thing I saw on e-bay. On the listing it said Spitfire, Hurricane, or might be German??? I couldn't recognise the part anyway and i wasn't prepared to pay £200 for it that's for sure. Way outside my budget, so I'll be making my own and if I ever do get some money, then maybe I can substitute the parts I've made with genuine items.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking good , this is a great build
cliff
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Thanks Cliff,

I half love doing as much as I hate it, which I suppose is standard when making anything. I suppose once you start you have to keep going. Recently I have been enjoying it, which is good. I've started on the dashboard today and also the rudder.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

After a bit of a break work has started on the wings. The break was not totally down to me. The wood grain was in the wrong direction and the ply could not be cut that way. Here I have started making the pair of wings. I am being extra careful here to make sure I don't make two pairs of the left, or right in error. I have made that mistake before!!
panzerfahrer
Private

Post by panzerfahrer »

Hey Dylen, cant wait for you to crank up the merlin, make sure you post it on youtube. :haha: :haha: :haha:
but seriously, you've done a superb job so far, I assume you've got some sort of trailer to transport it in. :thumbup:
"What is your name," "don't tell him Pike" " your name will also go on the list"
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dylan,forgot about the DR1 Post here,but you know how I FORGET AT TIMES. iT'S A farley swordfish LIKE THE ONE THAT Torpedoed the Bismarck... :haha: :haha:
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Re: Thanks and regarding the trailer I haven't got one yet, but it's one to sort out this month as my deadline is looming. I hope it's fairly easy to get a four wheeled trailer where I can just slide the aircraft on a wooden floor supported by a polystyrene cradle minus the wheels and with the wings supported parrallel either side, otherwise it's going to be a bit.... I don't suppose it would matter if the tail overhangs slightly but as long as there is enough tow area at the front to stop the propellor clouting the car in a tight turn.

The Swordfish bi-plane was amazing. I read that when they bombed the Bismarck the bomb aimer would be virtually out of the cockpit hanging over the side looking at the sea conditions to make sure it was bang on right before releasing the torpedo. Imagine doing that under fire.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

P.S. If anybody sells, or deals with trailer manufacturers in the UK please feel free to get in-touch.
Nic.H
Corporal

Post by Nic.H »

The Swordfish bi-plane was amazing. I read that when they bombed the Bismarck the bomb aimer would be virtually out of the cockpit hanging over the side looking at the sea conditions to make sure it was bang on right before releasing the torpedo. Imagine doing that under fire.[/quote]

I read that it was to make sure it landed in a trough and not on a peak of a wave....if it hit anywhere near a peak it could go in any direction...

Nic

Return to “Planes”