My List Of Movies With Tanks In

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: My List Of Movies With Tanks In

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I'ma big fan of the movie "Patton", probably because George C Scott portrayed Gen Patton with such obvious relish - not only did he perform the role in the earlier stage show, in a later interview he said it was not just his favourite character, he felt he was "born to play" the part.
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIGMIG
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by BIGMIG »

Ya from some of the history programs I have watched discribbing patton and the way Scott portrayed him,may have been a good reinactment of him and not very far off.I do like the Longest day also,a lot of high profile actors in that movie.
                                      BIGMIG  ;) ;)
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Little know fact: Richard Todd played Maj. John Howard in the film The Longest Day, in real life he actually jumped on 6th June as a member of 6th Airborne Div - the producers of the movie originally wanted him to play himself, but he refused as he felt he hadn't done enought to deserve it  and instead played Maj. Howard.
From his bio on imdb.com:
He was an officer in the 7th Battalion (LI) The Parachute Regiment. On D-Day this Battalion made contact with Major Howard at the Orne Bridge now called Pegasus Bridge. Todd was the officer who made contact. In the "Longest Day" he played Major Howard and the meeting with Todd was one scene. In "D Day The 6th of June" he played the commander of his Battalion in the filming of the same scene.
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

" THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN "
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

hamburger hill is my fave set in vietnam
first watched it at 16 as a training video in the army due to its graphic portrayal of combat and realness

best bit when a marine stands on the shoulder of a vc and point blanks his head with an m60  tomato sauce everywhere :o :o :o
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Now there's another great movie!
(Bridge at Remagen - thought I'd clarify that before you all wonder why I'm babbling about a bridge in Hamburger Hill  ;) )
Lots of M24's, tho I'm struggling to remember if there was any German armour involved (fake or otherwise).
I seem to recall that the location they used wasn't too far removed from the real one, tho the actual bridge was blown up by army engineers after succesive bombing raids by German jets (Arado Blitz's in particular) left the bridge in a poor way. It was never rebuilt, but the tunnel mouth into the mountain on the east bank still survives, as do the stumps of the bridge piers.
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireflyKeith

Post by FireflyKeith »

Hamburger Hill is one of the best, it really shows what they had to go through over there, one of the most memorable parts for me is when the US helicopters cut down there own men with machine gun fire, makes me angry everytime >:(  but i still give this movie 10/10

A couple of other good Vietnam films are Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers.
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Thanks for making me think about the Vietnam war guys - I just went and checked Amazon.com, and scored the complete DVD box set of Tour of Duty for $104!
I loved that show growing up!

Altho I've just read that they replaced the opening credits music - Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones - and all of the other 60's classics used on the show, with some generic crap!! BAH!  >:( >:( >:(
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireflyKeith

Post by FireflyKeith »

B#@stards, you cant have a vietnam movie or series without the 60's music >:(  I do vaguely remember this series but i was only 12 or 13 when i watched it so i probably did'nt take to much in, so will add it to my wanted list ;)
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

It was one of my favourite parts of the show - that track set the tone and made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up everytime it came on - not impressed at all that they dropped it!!

Return to “Movies”