1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Chef_bikes
Recruit

Re: 1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post by Chef_bikes »

I think you've passed the halfway marker - keep going - you're doing a cracking job and I can't wait to see it with some paint on.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Panzerjager
Recruit

Post by Panzerjager »

What you've done so far is fantastic :thumbup:

I like the split pin in the suspension arm, wish I had thought of that a few years ago. Are you going to strengthen the fiberglass hull as when I had one they tend to bend inwards under the weight of the battery, motors etc over a period of time? This resulted in the wheels being buckled and the tracks breaking. Mine was 1/6th but the same can easily occur in 1/8. Also there's a hinged inner part to the front mud guards as you seem to be super detailing the rest.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. :thumbup:
Panzerjager wrote:Are you going to strengthen the fiberglass hull as when I had one they tend to bend inwards under the weight of the battery, motors etc over a period of time? This resulted in the wheels being buckled and the tracks breaking. Mine was 1/6th but the same can easily occur in 1/8. Also there's a hinged inner part to the front mud guards as you seem to be super detailing the rest.
I had contemplated this known flaw and decided the distortion may not be as bad in 1/8th (similar in weight to 1/6 but chassis is more compact), and if the model was stored supported evenly under the chassis (rather than the weight on the tracks) then the sides off the hull would only be under load during running (which shouldnt amount to any significant distortion- famous last words).
With regards to the front fenders the jury is still out. To inlcude anymore detail (as you mention the hinged part) would mean hacking off the existing grp representations (which have alot to be desired I know) and fabricating from scratch. As the project is already taking longer than I'd envisaged, I'm leaning towards turning a blind eye to them (along with the other inaccuracies hereditary in this models design which can never realistically be corrected).
I'm on with detailing/re-building the fighting compartment roof at the moment. If this turns out half decent I think I'll call it a day and get it into paint (which was I all I was originally going to do!). Will post some more pics shortly.
cheers
JP
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

After long lay off, due to my re-kindled interest in motorcycles, its back to work on the JP. Well, its not biking weather out there! Started on detailing the fighting compartment roof. Having to scratch build everything from mainly plasticard and milliput. Its slow going as I'm working from photos to gauge dimensions. The hatches will open and have finally found a commander that looks like it will do (he'll look better with his throat mic/earphones/binos).
Attachments
getting there.
getting there.
14feb 014.JPG
14feb 014.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
14feb 012.JPG
14feb 012.JPG (49.51 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
14feb 013.JPG
002.JPG
002.JPG (49.14 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Wow, that thing is looking great......are you going to texture the hull to look like rolled armor plate?
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Thanks mate. Texture, hopefully yes. I'm going to experiment with a few things prior to paint. I'm open to any recommendations for texturing. Just got to get all the details done. Might try some thinned car body filler brushed/stippled/light sand/few tool marks. :think:
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

After another long lay off I finally got on with doing a few more bits of detailing.
IMG_1148.JPG
Attachments
jp aug 13 042.JPG
jp aug 13 041.JPG
jp aug 13 040.JPG
jp aug 13 039.JPG
jp aug 13 038.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG (55.42 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG (65.44 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

couple more shots.
Attachments
The real thing at Saumur museum. called in there in june whilst on motorcyle tour of france. Its an early type with one piece barrel and zimmermit.
The real thing at Saumur museum. called in there in june whilst on motorcyle tour of france. Its an early type with one piece barrel and zimmermit.
this pic shows the now improved mantlet shape.
this pic shows the now improved mantlet shape.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Excellent, well done. I know you have had a long road,yet the results are brilliant. Fine work,really fine work.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Edwin
Corporal

Post by Edwin »

excellent work...... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Since I'm already strained as it goes on.
APAMOTEC Model technology in detail

Return to “Larger Scale Military”