Late Tiger 1 build 1/6 Armortek

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Late Tiger 1 build 1/6 Armortek

Post by Johnf »

Hi Guys, Could'nt wait to get started on my Christmas present to myself. Starting my Late Tiger 1 1/6 Armortek. I have started with the turret as I want to work indoors due to cold weather at the moment. I will need much more space in the later stages.

If any body is interested in 1/6 Tiger 1 parts I will be upgrading some items and will have some armortek parts available.

This baby is big, and heavy. Adding weld lines and zimmerit should be fun.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Late Tiger 1 build 1/6 Armortek

Post by Saxondog »

Very nice Christmas, and what a task. This could be the best build thread of the new year! Clearly the finish seems well machined.is their any sign of tooling marks, or rough area's?

Sax
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Hi Blake, Hope you had a nice Christmas. The finish is very good. Mainly steel and alumimium. The turret base is a piece about 1 1/2 inches thick. The turret wrap is about 0.4 inch thick. The turret front is sprung into the wrap and bolts gradually tightened to close the gaps. Took about 5 attempts. Afraid to add more tension as I might strip the threads in the base. Machining of the wheels is very impressive. I will add additional texture as I go along. Just ordered 5 packs of milliput and some Mr. Surfacer. Have 6 cans of etch primer on standby. Only back home for a few days as going back to France next week for a mont of sking. Then the build will really start. Spent 2 days assembling tracks. Tracks were very well cast. No filing needed. I will use a belt sander to key the Turret wrap for Zimmerit when the time comes. Overall I am impressed with kit quality. I should hope so at this price. The hatches are just plain with no interior detail. I will upgrade the Driver and Radio operator hatches and also the Loader hatch. Clasps for tools and cables are not so good and will be upgraded. Also getting a high detail headlight and mg mount . Numerous upgrades planned when finances allow. If you want close ups of any items let me know.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks John,I am very interested. I still have my Tiger,though it has sat for a year I am considering keeping it and moving forward and your build would be a good guide, not that mine is that quality but drive train issues and gearbox mounts,control system's can be copied from you Tiger helping me to at least have a drivable tank.

I have so many questions but think it best to just go at your rate,over time the build will come together and my curiosity will be satisfied. Happy new year,enjoy the Snow. Sax
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

great start , same as you , i have my pIV turret on the kitchen table , to cold in the workshop, bet you couldnt wait to start this baby
regards, cliff
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Waiting for Miliput to arrive so that I can continue although going away for a month will stop progress also. Got 5 packs of milliput on ebay at a good price. Hope I have enough.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

While waiting for some items to continue with turret I am doing some work on some small items.

Ehhaust shielsd

Before and after. (Before on the right)

Complete pair

Ehhausts: Armortek leave bolt threads exposed on rids connecting caps to exhausts. I have covered with some tubes.

Smoker Kit:

[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking good , nice job with the shields,i was looking for a armortek tiger but one never came up
regards, cliff
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

They come up occasionally. I contacted Gill at Armortek and she placed an add for me. Had a couple of offers. That one came up on Isle of Mann from a man who bought 2 at same time and never opened one. I went to Isle of Man to pick up. Ferry Dublin To Holyhead. Drive to Birkenhead. Ferry To Isle of Man. Loaded the boxes into my little mini cooper. (Filled to roof and even front seat. Next day back same way. Worth the trip.
I have ordered a load of parts from Steve Winstone and Armorpax.
Instructions can be a bit vague but the Armortek forum is great and I am getting a lot of help from the other builders and Armortek.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

After holidays I will order some plastruct lettering as I want to add lots of detail.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”