Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Saxondog »

The Arizona as built,in the first 10 years of service,in the mid 1930's and Dec.7th 1941. I would like to model the 1927 version,if I can find a material to fabricate the wire mesh mast and the search light platforms.

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/battles ... r.htm#bb39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U.S.S.Arizona as completed 1916
U.S.S.Arizona as completed 1916
U.S.S.Arizona 1927
U.S.S.Arizona 1927
U.S.S.Arizona after reconstruction mid 1930's
U.S.S.Arizona after reconstruction mid 1930's
U.S.S.Arizona Dec.7th 1941
U.S.S.Arizona Dec.7th 1941
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I have got one HMS Hood the Airfix 1/600 version, which is an early representation of Hood and not the later 1941 version. I did build a radio control Heller (now Airfix) Hood in 1/400 scale for a customer but it's a bit basic in places and the guns are slightly the wrong shape. The Trumpeter 1/350 is the model to go for as it's a very good representation of the class. Also loads of extra detailing available and the wooden deck moulding. It'll be a fabulous model when you finish it I am sure. Not sure if you have seen the book the battle of Hood and Bismarck, but it has very information on the battle and also on the expedition to find the wrecks of the two ships.

A bit like LMN118 I like the 1/200 scale. My HMS Invicible 1/200 not started yet makes for a model 35.5inches long, which is nice and easy to put into the car and launch. I can even have that in the house. My big Hood will have to live in the garage.
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

My most recent purchase Naval wise was a Trumpeter 1:200 Sovremenny. It is a very nice model, probably more geared towards radio control than static although it does come with a fairly decent PE set as standard.

I have a few other larger scale versions of old ships, a 1:150 Zhong Shan.

Tank wise it is the Tamiya Panzer II and Heller Hotchkiss.

I am trying to sort everything out model wise so I know what I have, what I want and what I don't need. Pretty so I can concentrate on the last pic!

Unfortunately the Lexus is in the garage for a $1500 repair (one part) and so I've not been able to pick up the corner racking I wanted to finally put everything away so it is a bit of a tank and model assault course.
It is never just "one" tank!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

You seem to have alot of kits, the older warships are appealing to me also. I have a 1/350 Emden a very famous raider from WWI,and a very complicated build due to the equipment on deck.
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

I've looked at the Emden a few times now was tempted to buy it but the that lot up above made me think twice. A lot of it will hopefully sell over the next week (free listing weekend on eBay) leaving me with some of the kits I really want to build. I tend to buy things and kits out of curiosity. My way of thinking is to keep the larger 1:350 kits and sell all the smaller ones, apart from my Revell Battle of Midway box, I want to build that one.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I've considered selling the Yamato,seems the vintage kit or first generation has a value in Japan. The completed ship sold last week on E-BAY FOR 635.00 which amazed me. It was claimed to be a professional build but I could not see any detail that is not on my Yamato.

As for scale I have been slowly building a 1/350 German fleet of WWII,The recent release of the Graf Spee and the Scharnhorst has completed the fleet,the only issue is Graf Spee had a straight stem where Deutschland (Lutzow) and Scheer has modified clipper bows. The best thing about these new kits are the wooden decks that are available. Now what a need is the light cruisers in 1/350 scale,
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

I would love the 1:200 Yamato, but they are very rare. I think I've seen maybe three tops in the last year on eBay and one of them had missing parts. I do like the wooden decks, I sold my 1:400 Revell Titantic since the Premium Academy edition came out, as with the the other Academy Premium ships. Trumpeter may be slightly better but having the wooden deck to start with is a big plus.

One other kit I am looking at is the rumoured HMS Warspite, hopefully it will be out soon. That and an Akagi, possibly the 1:450 model.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Warspite was a fine ship,survived the guided bomb attack and cheated the breakers when her tow cable parted and she ran aground. One of a rare ship to of been in histories way many times.

Her rudder problem at Jutland was never resolved and it has been written that the problem would happen from time to time,even the replacement of the steering motor had no effect on this problem.

Oddly the other Queen Elizabeth class ships did not have this problem. I would like to build her before the modernization or as commissioned.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Queen Elizabeth was a loveley ship as was Warspite and seeing the many un-made boxes of models by LMN118 reminds me of my model buying of some yrs ago, where I bought everything and anything. If a shop had something for three pounds I'd buy it, even if it was something out of my main modelling interest. I have now thinned down to very few kits although I did buy an Airfix 1/600 Iron Duke and Lord Nelson other day as I have a growing interest in WW1 Royal Navy ships. The larger ships in the 1/350 scale do make good display and working models with many extra parts available. I was suprised with the price of the completed battle ship on e-bay. 635 blimey I might build and sell one of mine as the cash would come in handy for this cnc machine I want.
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

That's pretty much what I did, ooh that looks interesting and it's cheap...bid, grab, throw in basket :)

Return to “Warships”