1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

Post by sparks »

Hi Pete,
I had the same thing happen to me with my Pershing a couple of years back, busted some shocks etc.
Bought some metal upgrades, and a few other bits, think I painted them, and thats as far as I got, work and other projects took over and its still waiting repair.
Perhaps after the Sherman......
sparks
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
sparks

Post by sparks »

THE END OF A LONG ROAD
Well, I did warn you at the start, but its finally finished. I hope you have enjoyed following this build as much as I have enjoyed it. Here's a shed load of pics of the finished tank. I will try to make a video of her running and going through her paces.
Thanks for all the nice comments you have posted during the course of this build.
sparks :wave:
OK, so I've got a big shed :haha:
Woof woof woof !
fleshpedler
Sergeant

Post by fleshpedler »

Superb Alan, a cracking great model, and I am looking forward too seeing it at swindon,and I am sure that she will be great on video, ..see you in less than four weeks time .............
Fleshy................................................................
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Thanks for putting the time in sharing this build with us all..its been a great build and a superb model recreation of oddballs tank.

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: and yes i would love to see a vid of it too 8)

Oh forgot to add..now you have finished, you can put your feet up and have some wine and cheese now man ;)

well done again.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

One last thing ..now you have finished oddball's tank ,is Oddball going to be getting one of those leaky old tigers he got at the end of the film :haha: :haha:
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

fleshpedler wrote:Sparky old boy i take it that you are going to use the T23 turret then as i believe that the 76 was only fitted in these turrets.. mind you i have been wrong before ,but if your going to use the mantlet and fit a 75mm then thats ok............
Fleshy.............
good luck any way and look forward to the next bit of your build.........sorry if puts you in a quan dery
There were post war conversions of the high bustle turreted Shermans with the M34A1 mantlets using the 76MM gun. Yugoslavia did the retrofits.

-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

This is just an amazing build - congratulations - job well done. :thumbup:

One of our members in http://www.panzerteam.dk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will use your build to make an oddball tank, which I look forward to see on the battlefield

cheers
Steen
sparks

Post by sparks »

"The Turk" joins the crew

I used the supplied Tamiya Sherman figure for this, the head comes without helmet but has a balaklava type hood around the sides and back of the head. I ground this off and made some ears from thin plastic sheet. I scratch built the fez from the funnel tube (left over from making the loud speaker), plastic sheet and 2.5mm black rigging rope for the tassle.
Then painted the figure using shots from the movie as refference. I thought I'd done a pretty good job until I put him next to Oddball, the guy that painted that face is in a different leage.
But again, from a normal spectator viewpoint it doesn't look too bad :/
I think I will re-pose the left arm as I'm not happy with that.
Then I just need to find a figure I can make "Our mechanical genius Moriarty" from
Woof woof woof !
Zanthaklaus
Recruit

Post by Zanthaklaus »

I just saw your work. great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm a fan of Oddball-Donald Sutherland, an incredible character (in italian was called "Testamatta"). A proto-hippie Sherman tank commander 8|

but Moriarty? Oddball's bow machine-gunner and mechanic.
"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves."

compliments again! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hello, Sandro.
sparks

Post by sparks »

A new "Turk" and Moriarty (curtacy of "fynsdad" on RCTR) join the crew.
Woof woof woof !

Return to “Tamiya Builds”