September 7,1940 London

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
Saxondog
Captain

September 7,1940 London

Post by Saxondog »

On this date 70 years ago the German Bombing "BLITZ" began. Their were many reason's for this tactic, on August 25/26 the R.A.F. had bombed Berlin for the first time. Germany and specifically the head of the Luftwaffe General Herman Goering had told the German people "if ever a bomb land on Berlin call me a PIG". Hitler was furious and ordered Goering to present his plan to punish the people of Britain as reprisal for the bombing of Berlin.

Goering had the plan for the attacks on London and several coastal cities ready within 24hrs. The bombing plan would take the pressure off the R.A.F. which Goering believed to be beaten. They nearly were which was something the Government could not allow to happen.

I will only write here the dates these events happened, my opinion of the political implications of these new tactics by both governments has been written about by several fine authors. So use this as a reason to actively research some of the history that effected the future we now live in.
People of London gathered together in the tunnels under the city, safety had it's price.
People of London gathered together in the tunnels under the city, safety had it's price.
london03.jpg (98.53 KiB) Viewed 884 times
london06.jpg
london06.jpg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 884 times
london10.jpg
london10.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 884 times
london12.jpg
london12.jpg (99.14 KiB) Viewed 884 times
The scale of this Photo is beyond comprehension today, the entire skyline of London engulfed in smoke, AWSUME
The scale of this Photo is beyond comprehension today, the entire skyline of London engulfed in smoke, AWSUME
london13.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 884 times

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”