Lowloader on the cheap

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Lowloader on the cheap

Post by jarndice »

You do realise that the last entry on this thread was four and1/2 years ago ? Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

H That's the advantage of forums ,you can search for old items which are of interest to you ,dig up old posts of how to build something you want. Most guys are only to happy to help you build something they have done .

regards pete
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Shaun
When I built her they was all the rage.
All I can suggest is just do a general internet search for RC trucks without putting a scale in and see what turns up. You quite often see kids toys come up. For me the important bit was the cab unit using the same method as the traillor its easy to build a chassis then to suit and fit what running gear you like. I have seen on the truck forums a lot of people using the bruder cab units and fitting an RC to it
Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
threadbear
Private

Post by threadbear »

Hi, going from the cheap low loader how does this sound Unimog truck pulling low loader fitted with dolly to move my tank around. Sounds a bit weird but could work done properly.
threadbear
Private

Post by threadbear »

Well gone and done it, managed to purchase a Tamiya Volvo FH12 Globetrotter, with Low loader and wheeled loader. Needs some new bits and painting, so if any of you have pics of a Volvo Tank Transporter would be very grateful to look at them, thanks.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Volvo FH12 is a "Cab-over design and all the Volvo MILITARY transporters that I know of are Volvo N10/12 which are "Conventional" designs IE- Bonneted ,
So any pictures are probably not going to be using an FH/FL cab,
Although the British armed forces did use FH/FL cabs both Rigid and tractor (Artic) in many different transport roles this is because for many years Volvo had a Truck assembly plant in West Scotland,
But while civilian contractors have been seen using STGO (Special transport group operator/order) Volvo FH12 and Scania tractors hauling British army Tanks to and from the Docks on flatbed trailers the British Army has never used the FH series in that role,
Presently they use the American "Oshkosh" unit, prior to that the "Leyland/Scammel" Commander and the never to be forgotten "Thornycroft Antar" and before that the much celebrated "Diamond "T",
You will observe that all the Tank transporter Tractors I have listed are all Bonneted unlike the FH12 which is a cab-over.
Shaun.
Last edited by jarndice on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
threadbear
Private

Post by threadbear »

Hi Shaun,

Thanks very much for that, I think I realised afetr the purchase, never mind will make the most of what I have. Trouble was I didn't want to spend too much on the transporter, rather spend it on Tanks so will make the most of what I have. But thanks for the the info found it really helpful.
David
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Shaun / threadbare
I think you would get away with using this cab / Tractor unit as long as you did her in civilian colours. When GKN Telford use to transport their warriors, and also Vickers at Newcastle was closing there was a hell of a lot of contractors employed using civvy Truck units and lowloaders to transport the units all over the place. That's the reason my lowloader was not painted military.
By the way she is still going strong, although there is a bit of wear in the gearbox now so might transplant a Tamiya 3 speed box into her this year.
Regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Denzil you are quite right, as I said there were Civilian FH12s and Scanias on STGO plates taking Tanks on low loaders to and from the docks this was most apparent during drawdown from BAOR and the first and second Gulf unpleasantries
It is just that there was a specific request for pictures of Military Volvo FH12s in the role of Tank Transporter,
The RAF often use/used their FH12s in the low loader (Queen Mary) role but the Royal Air Force aren't usually known to haul Tanks, but who knows the RAF Regiment have always been ambitious when it comes to Soldiering :haha:
Shaun.

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”