Transmitter for Tamiya 1/16 RC Tanks?

Discuss your radio gear here!
RCH37
Recruit

Transmitter for Tamiya 1/16 RC Tanks?

Post by RCH37 »

Hello,

I'm new to this site and just built my first Tamiya 1/16 RC Tank (M26 Pershing). This is the one that comes with the DMD Control unit. I purchased this tank along with the Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger (also DMD Control) about 20 years ago....so I'm a little slow at building...lol

But both these tanks were stored in a closet and kind of forgotten about until recently when I retired and saw them again. So I decided to build one and started with the Pershing. I was planning on using a 4-ch pistol grip radio that I have but quickly realized this wouldn't work or really be feasible. I also have a RM TX16s that I use for some of my planes and heli's and was able to get the DMD until to work with this transmitter but not sure if this is the way to go. Of course this transmitter doesn't have a spring left stick for throttle which I could add but then I couldn't use it with my planes and heli's.

So my question is, what transmitters should I look at. I only have the two tanks now and not sure if I will ever purchase anymore. So I don't want to spend a lot on this and was thinking about finding a used RM TX16s and making the throttle spring loaded or going with one of the sub $100 Flysky transmitters. I know Futaba makes a simple 4 channel radio for the Tamiya Tanks and Trucks but can't find one anywhere and when they are available, they are in the $250 range which I thing is ridicules.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Transmitter for Tamiya 1/16 RC Tanks?

Post by Jimster »

I just received my new Radiomaster TX16S Mark 2 with the touchscreen and loaded with Edge TX. Best radio ever. Does it all and then some. Google it and see what you think. YouTube is also a nice way to check it out. You won’t regret it but of course it’s only my humble opinion.
RCH37
Recruit

Post by RCH37 »

Jimster wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:34 am I just received my new Radiomaster TX16S Mark 2 with the touchscreen and loaded with Edge TX. Best radio ever. Does it all and then some. Google it and see what you think. YouTube is also a nice way to check it out. You won’t regret it but of course it’s only my humble opinion.
Thanks Jimster but as my post stated, I already have a Radiomaster TX16s Mark 2. I've had one for about 2 years now and yes, it's a nice radio. I use it and a Jeti DS-16 for my planes and heli's. But to me, they are both way overkill for my tanks. I just need a simple 4-6 channel radio that will work with the Tamiya DMD controller. And I don't want to spend another $380 for a TX16s just to run a few tanks once in a while.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I use a Carson 6 channel or Futaba 4 channel for the Tamiya tanks. Nice and simple.

Have used DX6i in the past.
RCH37
Recruit

Post by RCH37 »

Ad Lav wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:21 am I use a Carson 6 channel or Futaba 4 channel for the Tamiya tanks. Nice and simple.

Have used DX6i in the past.
I never heard of Carson before. Just did a search on them and found that Amazon sells them for about $150.00
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

$70 FlySky FS-i6s is more than enough. They are available with a spring left stick.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Can’t get on with Flysky, cheap and nasty, sorry!

Each to their own, you’ll find a good one amongst the many on offer.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I would use the Radiomaster in the tank, even when you dont have a self centering spring. I dont have that spring neither and I like it like that. There are many things you can do with that radio to improve the experience of the simple tamiya electronics, like programming inertias, momentums, and much, much more that is worth to stick with it.

I would never, ever, get any of those futabas, neither the Carsons. Sorry Ad Lav, but I found the Carson radios to be much, much cheaper made than the cheapest of Flyskys, but with a 100 eur price difference in between. And as far as I have seen, the receivers price is outrageous as well. I have touched many of those Carsons, and for me, the feeling was really awfull, and no mention of the lack of any programmable capabilities, even in the most expensive Carson.

If even when having the Radiomaster you still want some other radio, for whatever the reasons, I would get one of those Flysky I6. Most likely the I6X, because I would flash OpenTX software on it and you know it makes a beast of a radio of it.

EDIT: I wrote about radios here. I have to update the entry a bit, but it is still worth it: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Radio Gear”