Coating

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Prodee
Recruit

Coating

Post by Prodee »

Good day, I would like to harden the Styrofoam that the tank was shipped in when I bought it. What kind of coating do you need for this?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Coating

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Here’s what I would do and have done. I glue together and broken parts of the foam with white Elmers glue (PFA) or even a pressure-sensitive adhesive. Then I put in a tissue paper where the model will contact the foam. That way tye foam will not make white marks on the model’s paint. Hardening the foam might less effectivelt protect the model from jolts in storage or transport. Let’s see if others have better ideas.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

I was thinking a two part epoxy to harden the foam (provided it doesn't attack and melt the foam), but Herr Professor raises a pretty stellar point about not scratching the paint, and that the slight give of styrofoam is good protection. Maybe just coat the outside of the foam for strength, but leave the inside surfaces au naturel!

Mike.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Well it also depends on what you use the storage for. At home? Going to tank meetings by car?

A heavy, metal tank should preferably not be stored on its suspension, if you make something that the belly of the tank stands on, and secure the left and right of the tracks, you may not even need anything on top or against the superstructure at all.

Kind of how model builders are transporting their precious fragile models but a little tougher.

Shipping would be something entirely different of course.Bubble wrap all the way. :-P
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)

Return to “General Questions”