Tiger 1 with Panzer III Turret bin

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Tiger 1 with Panzer III Turret bin

Post by Panzermechaniker »

I was wondering if anyone who has modeled one of these early Tigers could steer me to whether you have to scratch build the bin to attach to a Tamiya or can you use one that is available as a part and if so where i could source one. Thanks in advance
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tiger 1 with Panzer III Turret bin

Post by MrChef »

Good question that I'm definitely interested to learn about.

When doing 822 I learned that the bins on the Das Reich Tigers from that batch in early 43 were very unique and Not the standard bin nor the Pz. III bin. https://tiger1.info/EN/Wide-turret-bin.html

Big Credit to David Byrden and his site for sharing this information with me on the Tiger Tank Facebook group. Not only were the bins wider and didn't fit properly, they were mounted off center and Das Reich made cutouts on either side for both the pistol port and the escape hatch. Unfortunately I don't possess the skill or tools to emulate this unique Tiger turret bin.

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Yes Mr. Chef I remember watching a video of this German model show with this incredible whitewashed Tiger with the massive mammoth logo on the Panzer III bin running around and ordered a Taigen Tiger the next day. Boy did I get a rude awakening when I realized the skill it would take and also impossible with a metal Taigen turret. I found this site and all through Covid lockdowns I read every build thread and got even more inspired although talentless. I'm ready to have a go now. I'm still crap but but I want to do this
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Hi Panzermechaniker.I have a partially built Tamiya Tiger1 creating initial Tiger 121 ,Russian front with a Panzer 111 storage bin. Bin is a SOL unit. regards John
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Thanks John. That is the info I needed and RC Tank.de has the SOL available if I go ahead with this project

Return to “General Questions”