Heng Long Tiger 1 color match

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tanks101
Recruit

Heng Long Tiger 1 color match

Post by Tanks101 »

I have a HL Tiger 1 Pro edition and want to paint the metal wheels. The Tamiya German gray seems too dark, what color paint do you guys think would be the best match? Thanks. (Sorry about the double post in HL Builds, don't know how to delete.)
Attachments
DSCN1347.jpg
DSCN1347.jpg (108.55 KiB) Viewed 265 times
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Tiger 1 color match

Post by MrChef »

Welcome to this forum as well Tanks101. I may have shared with you previously on anther forum or FB group that there is no offered paint that will match the Heng Long Tiger I bluish grey color. You could pick canned spray paint that is close and either live with the difference or weather them or use a paint filter to get the color closer.

But, The Heng Long Tiger I color is so far off from a realistic Dunkelgrau RAL 7021 that I'd repaint the whole tank to match everything. But I could understand apprehension to do this.

Here are some pics of the Spray can Tamiya TS-4 German Grey which is not the same as Heng Longs color and also not an accurate Dunkelgrau and also can be pricey. There are other paint brands available with a similar grey as Tamiya but not the bluish tinted color of the Heng Long Tiger I.

Now, you could if you wanted to try hand brush painting the wheels and even possibly mixing your own paint color.

Most importantly before painting the metal wheels, you should remove the plastic rubber tires, then degrease the wheels, then use a Primer paint that can be used on metal Before applying a colored paint of your choice.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice likely better than mine.

Best luck,

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I second all that MrChef advises. I have found a great deal of variation in different hobby paint manufacturers' Dunkelgrau, as much as there is variation in the versions of U.S. Olive Drab.
The best solution if you want a match is to repaint the whole tank. Doing so is not so hard as it may seem, even with a spray can. We can advise you here as to masking.
Above all, use a "metal etching" primer on the wheels. In the past I have used a regular RustOleum primer, good stuff, made for metal, but a bit touchy even when covered with a clear flat lacquer or enamel. I now use a "metal etching" primer on metal parts, the regular on plastic parts.
Sources of metal etching primer: https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_ ... type=&tbs=
Tanks101
Recruit

Post by Tanks101 »

Thanks for the excellent tips fellas. With so many HL WWII German tanks with metal upgrades that have been sold, I thought someone would have found a close enough match. I have some experience with painting static models, but I would rather practice on a less expensive RC Tank.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Over the years I have tried to find the most correct match for the German Grey on 1/16 armour and I have settled on Humbrols 27 Sea Grey NOT Tank Grey. as a base it works very well.
I am not sure that Humbrol paints are available in the US, If they are they do have a very wide range that is worth exploring.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tanks101
Recruit

Post by Tanks101 »

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m afraid HL’s version of the Tiger 1 was never painted gray. It represents a later version and only the first 25 or so Tigers received the gray color. If historical accuracy is not your main concern I would say that there could be more than one shade of gray you could use because weathering such as sunlight exposure can change the color a bit.
Definitely repaint the whole tank in your color of choice.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Something that Tom Hugill said on the Forum many years ago needs to be taken on board, Scale changes the perception of colour/shade,
The Olive drab on a prototype will look quite different on a 1/16 model.
The desert yellow on a full size Tiger 1 would hurt your eyes on a 1/16 Tiger 1 with its bright yellow intensity.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tanks101
Recruit

Post by Tanks101 »

Hmmm, this looks close but hard to tell on a computer monitor. https://www.scalemates.com/colors/hatak ... att--18667

Return to “General Questions”