Is the any way to revive birger's old post about fixes to the HL Tiger 1?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Is the any way to revive birger's old post about fixes to the HL Tiger 1?

Post by michaelwhittmann »

Don't need em all.

Maybe a David Letterman top ten list?

Or the easiest to do ?
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Is the any way to revive birger's old post about fixes to the HL Tiger 1?

Post by MrChef »

Some of his posts still had pics when I joined last year or maybe a bit before that. It sucks that the imagehost swallowed all his work. He really took time to share some good and helpful information.

Maybe share what you're interested in. There are many members here who have done the mods to the Tiger I and then some, especially as of late with the well deserved resurgence of the Tiger I. His posts still exist just missing lots of useful or important pictures.

My Winter Group Tiger #822 is absolutely Not the be all end all or even the best example but I cover most of the offending beginner and intermediate modifications. And I tried to explain them as well as document them with pics specifically because of the loss of alot of older shared information in older posts. I'll answer anything I can and I'm sure others will chime in to help you. Here's my build ask anything you like: viewtopic.php?t=34859

I'm actually in the middle or doing another HL Tiger I right now so ask any questions and I'll share with pictures. The tank is disassembled as of today so I can share component pictures of whatever you like.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

michaelwhittmann wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 am Don't need em all.

Or the easiest to do ?
1. remove extra antenna tube on drivers side rear engine deck.
2. remove extra convoy light bit on the radio man's side rear panel above the mud flap
3. fabricate proper looking lifting lugs on turret, add a lifting lug in the square recess in the rear turret Rommel bin, fabricate and modify bin to fit said lug.
4. open the drivers vision block
5. remove the RC models metal antenna stump that does nothing and is not correct
6. fabricate a better looking front bow Machine Gun and ball mount
7. modify, or replace the offending HL headlights
8. fabricate rear tow mount/hitch
9. add or modify better jack and mount
10. clock commanders copula so the hatch opens at the correct angle, And the vision slits face the correct direction
11. modify or fabricate turret side vision slits
12. modify and fabricate more realistic hoses for the Feifel air cleaners
13. add aftermarket transmission reinforcements
14. fill/modify extra hole in gun mantlet
15. add aftermarket vent cover on hull roof between driver and radio man

You might think that's a lot but there are more for sure and there used to be even more than the current tank shows but they've fixed some of the early issues. It all depends how deep you want to go into the Tiger I rabbit hole.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

mr chef or anyone; see the pix.
Attachments
IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg (154.56 KiB) Viewed 192 times
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Attachments
IMG_2950.jpg
IMG_2950.jpg (209.71 KiB) Viewed 190 times
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

which hole?
Attachments
IMG_2951.jpg
IMG_2951.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 188 times
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Mr Chef is from one of those weird countries that drives on the wrong side of the road so when he says drivers side he means left so your number 1 is right but wrong side. But it is the drivers side of the tank as the Germans also drive on the wrong side of the road.

Your number 4 is right. To me it's a lot of work for little gain

Your number 14 the hole you have you piece of paper over is the turret mg the 2 on the other side are the gunners sights. Birger's post are old so had an older tank heng long use to put the red bulb right next to the barrel so it's possible that's what he meant. If you only have the mg and gunners sights then you don't have the extra hole I can't see it on your picture.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

I'm more of a bow, stern, starboard, port man.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Within this hobby it is a universal law that left or right is taken from the drivers position looking forward assuming the drivers position is where it can be found on the Tiger 1.
The Tiger 1 early cupola is correct if the hatch is hinged at the 20 t0 8 position.
If you are striving for accuracy then both aerial stowage tubes should be removed as the prototype aerial stowage tube was elevated,
In 1/16 it is raised by 2mm and held in position by clamps.
The Radio operators MG is wrong, It should be a smooth barrel armoured MG34.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

michaelwhittmann wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 am Don't need em all.

Or the easiest to do ?
MrChef wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:15 am
1. remove extra antenna tube on drivers side rear engine deck.

here it is on my Taigen

antenna removed with razor saw

what it looks like on 822 build now.

2. remove extra convoy light bit on the radio man's side rear panel above the mud flap

you can see it removed on the lower right side of the panel

closer shot of the carnage

what it looks like on 822 now

3. fabricate proper looking lifting lugs on turret, add a lifting lug in the square recess in the rear turret Rommel bin, fabricate and modify bin to fit said lug.
I purchased the lugs from John at East Coast Armory. The rest is cutting, filing, sanding, gluing etc.

cut, filed and sanded

lugs glued on 822

cut out spot to mount lug

Note the lack of indicated rear turret outer wall where the roof meets. It just goes from the weld line into the recess in the box.

fabbed and installed on 822

The weld bead covers the roof ending but still no definition of the rear turret outer wall.

Now, very clearly the way the Heng Long Rommel box is made is a mix models and or ideas and is not 100% correct in any way, and if someone wants or needs to be more accurate at the very least the actual square shape of the recess needs to be corrected. Here is a pic on my Taigen Tiger I which is more accurate but still not 100%

you can also notice the roof line, weld seam space and the rear turret wall unlike the Heng Long molding. This is a Taigen Metal turret.

4. open the drivers vision block

corrected on 822

5. remove the RC models metal antenna stump that does nothing and is not correct
Vise grips are your friend. DO NOT TWIST. Pull straight out. Heating with a hairdryer may be helpful. Cutting with a rotary tool may be required.

6. fabricate a better looking front bow Machine Gun and ball mount

Theres choices to be made here. You could go for more accuracy of the gun itself and or budget may be involved. I wanted a better looking gun that lit up and a better looking ball mount. So I could have chosen a more accurate shrouded MG34 and also made the ball rotate. I did what I did for me.

here is what I came up with that I'm also happy with.

This is what my Taigen Tiger I looks like

7. modify, or replace the offending HL headlights
Mr. Bix is right Just Do It!

822 again

8. fabricate rear tow mount/hitch
This is my Taigen which is the same as the Heng Long missing hitch
open without pin
with pin installed

9. add or modify better jack and mount
Ok here I'm 50% here. I improved the jack but I know there are better jacks available. I also have Not come up with better mounts yet for 822. It's about the last thing I have left to accomplish but at least the jack is better and the handle is in the correct spot

these are the jacks supplied on the Heng Long Tiger. Rubbish.

here is the jack on my Taigen. Better but the handle is in the wrong position and doesn't have mounting brackets.

here is the jack I cobbled together for 822, still missing the mounting brackets but at least the handle is in the correct position.

10. clock commanders copula so the hatch opens at the correct angle, And the vision slits face the correct direction
this is just easier to replace with a Taigen piece. Notice that the hatch is opening in the correct direction And the vision slit in the commanders copula is facing forward. Notice the HL piece if the hatch is opened similarly in the same direction that the vision slit is not facing forward. As well notice that the Taigen copula includes the hatch stop. The HL piece does not But you see the indent where it is supposed to be.

I have seen people cutting the plastic copula and reclocking the vision slit to match the hatch.

11. modify or fabricate turret side vision slits
This is My pet peeve. Some love Bosch head lights I love vision slits and turret lifting lugs on the Tiger I.
Notice the very poor examples of side turret vision slits

If you didn't notice them you sure will now when I cut them off

the hole drilled is to center the aftermarket ones from East Coast Armory

installed on 822

12. modify and fabricate more realistic hoses for the Feifel air cleaners

This pic is a comparison of the Heng Long shiny plastic hoses to my Taigen textured hoses. Now I know the Taigen are not accurate but they're not as cheap and shiny looking as the HL pieces. I have seen someone use of all things the bendy part of a flexible disposable drinking straw as an upgrade replacement for the HL pieces and they looked way better when painted.
I just don't like the look of the Feifel cleaners on the Tiger I anyway so I avoid them.

13. add aftermarket transmission reinforcements
simple aftermarket piece added, these are Taigen.

on 822, can barely see it but I like the mechanical look they give.

14. fill/modify extra hole in gun mantlet
I used leftover sprue and CA glue. I'll add Tamiya modeling putty and sand away

15. add aftermarket vent cover on hull roof between driver and radio man
This detail is also missing on the Taigen Tiger

I got this beautiful piece from Dave at Forgebear. But I also have others from John at East Coast Armory.
I hope I was helpful and I'm sorry it took some time, that dreaded work and life got the best of me. I am by no means a great modeler. I am a beginner. I am sure others will be helpful and can show you more. I will answer Any questions you have. And All of the above mods and more I have documented in my Tiger 822 build in the group build section.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”