Hooben T-55

tomhugill
Captain

Hooben T-55

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

I picked this kit up recently off FB marketplace. A friend from the states wanted one and asked me to build this up on his behalf.

The last one I built from new was a first gen kit and wasn't a bad build so I was looking forward to doing this. Plan is to build visually stock with some additional details like fuel lines.

The lower hull went together pretty well, lots of screws and almost feels slightly over engineered. I'd say the quality is pretty close to tamiya. My only gripe was that the kit has been updated at some point in the way the gearboxes are mounted and the instructions don't reflect this.

The bearings are also an almost interference fit to the wheels and required gentle hammering to fit them, not a big problem and at least they won't end up spinning.

The axle support bearing also work better than I remember on the gen1.

The wheels now have a single bearing and a bushing which seems a slightly odd choice, however they spin nicely so I can't complain. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
Last edited by tomhugill on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Hooben t55

Post by Kaczor »

Please re-upload some photos, glitches occurred.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Next stage was my absolutely least favourite thing in armour modelling, building tracks. As you can see ice-cream, alcohol and TV was required to get through this. I think it took about 3 episodes of Reacher. Straight forward but fairly mind numbing.

The kit came with electrics (but no transmitter annoyingly) however I've decided to go with hl 7.0. I'm mega impressed with this to be honest after looking down on HL electrics for many years. The diesel sounds are really good and are a great fit for the t55. The little speaker with the base and treble drivers is fantastic for its size to the point where it rattles the tank. The low speed control is amazing and comparible with the new Clark boards. You can adjust so much on the fly as well.

As a cheeky comparison it and the merkava is a real eye opener.

phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
Last edited by tomhugill on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Kaczor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 am Please re-upload some photos, glitches occurred.
Tapatalk is a loose cannon sometimes!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Hooben T-55

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Great expose Mr Hugill
The comparison to the new Merkava is one I’ve done too.
There’s no missing a Merk!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Methinks some of that premium cider might be responsible for the wonky angles...
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Although Hooben RC tanks are notorious for problematic qualities, it seems to me from the photos that you will be able to make a fine runner and model of it. I concur with your estimation of the HengLong 7.0. as having "diesel sounds...really good...for the t55" and a "little speaker with the base and treble drivers" as well as "low speed control." I just wish HengLong would come up with accurate sounds for other vintage tanks. I look forward to more photos--perhaps some I could look at lying down. :haha:
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

MrChef wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:37 pm Methinks some of that premium cider might be responsible for the wonky angles...
I swear they're the right way up in my phone! :crazy:

Return to “Modern Builds”