Saigon, I’m still only in Saigon

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Saigon, I’m still only in Saigon

Post by lmcq11 »

The famous phrase from Capt Willard at the start of Apocalypse Now. Even since I watch the movie in the early 80s, I wanted to come to Vietnam, there is a connection somewhere as I have been modeling Vietnam War stuff as long as I remember.

It’s the start of a 25day journey across Vietnam and Cambodia. Arrived today after 22 hours of flight. I will be catching a tour in a few days but I arrived early in order to have some time for myself. I have a Mekong cruise starting tomorrow, my own Apocalypse now experience, navigating canals between Cai Be, Vinh Long and Can tho, then up to Chau Doc and all the way to Phnom Penh where the tour starts.

I’ll be posting a few articles and pictures of interest here along the way, mainly Vietnam war stuff of general interest. One of them is the colonial Gia Long Palace below visited today. It has a long history. HQ of Leclerc during early Indochina, Diem stayed here, then the south Supreme Court, now the Ho Chi Minh city museum. It had a Huey, F-5, A-37 and a superb M-41A3 Walker Bulldog. The bigger War Remnant museum will be visited with the tour in about a week.
Attachments
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2752.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 302 times
IMG_2730.jpeg
IMG_2730.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2760.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_2725.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2716.jpeg
IMG_2716.jpeg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2721.jpeg
IMG_2721.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2718.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2720.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 308 times
IMG_2719.jpeg
IMG_2719.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 308 times
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Saigon, I’m still only in Saigon

Post by lmcq11 »

The CIA building rooftop escape

We’re all familiar with the iconic 1975 picture marking the end of the Vietnam war.

It’s still there, next to the huge Vincom shopping mall, selling mostly western brand clothing… Makes you wonder what that stupid war was all about.
Attachments
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2916.jpeg (165.58 KiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2766.jpeg
IMG_2766.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2771.jpeg
IMG_2771.jpeg (545.12 KiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2772.jpeg (327.48 KiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2775.jpeg
IMG_2775.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 304 times
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I should love to give a truthful answer but SOG would get me banned from the Forum if I did :haha:
I may be forced into more military memories if this newsletter goes on for long. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Nice city

The sky scrapers are rising.
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 296 times
The city administrative building with the only statue of Ho Chi Minh seen today. Looks like two veterans who later saluted me.
IMG_2786.jpeg
IMG_2786.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 296 times
This communist signs in preparation for a communist festival on the main Blvd are sponsored by Vietcombank, a large Vietnamese bank publicly listed on the Ho Chi Minh stock exchange…
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 296 times
The Rex hotel today, home of the US Army daily briefing on the rooftop terrasse during the war. Now an expensive hotel and bar, with luxury French brand shops on first floor.
IMG_2783.jpeg
IMG_2783.jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 296 times
Last edited by lmcq11 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

That Bulldog is a welder's delight! Thanks for the detail photos of it.
Beautiful looking city with green in every image.
The first image of the very elegant young woman amongst all of the geometric shapes and lines of the floor, windows, shutters and staircase railings is very striking!

Mike.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Nice! Just got back a few weeks ago myself from a 10 day visit to HCMC & Phu Quoc during CNY. The War Remnants Museum is very powerful no matter what side you were on, filled with relics & photos of man's inhumanity from the early days of the French until the day we flew our Hueys off the American embassy roof. The Agent Orange exhibit will churn even the strongest stomach. If you do the Cu Chi Tunnels, I hope you're more limber than I was - my back wasn't right for a week afterwards crawling through those!

Visiting Vietnam took me back 15-20 years compared to living in China. The lack of hi-rises & the bazillion CCTV we see here was quite refreshing, to say the least. Even with its government, it's a much freer society than the PRC - hardly any police presence & best of all: UNFETTERED INTERNET!!! :clap:

Be sure you download the Grab app while in country - you'll find it most useful for those late night Banh Mi cravings. Enjoy the pho!

IMG_9745.jpeg
IMG_9745.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG_9763.jpeg
IMG_9763.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_9766.jpeg
IMG_9766.jpeg (611.91 KiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_9755.jpeg
IMG_9755.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 267 times
Last edited by Xiaoshan_Sailor on Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

What a great trip!

Enjoy!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I dont think I have seen a muddier river than the Mekong and that was in Laos leave alone what it looked like in Vietnam.
Anyone who has visited the Army Air Corp museum in Middle Wallop will have seen DHC2 Beaver XP821 in its overall UN white markings,
In 1968 130 flt RCT in Singapore was tasked by the MoD to operate c/o a request from the UN a DHC 2 Beaver out of Laos to aid Laotian and North Vietnamese civilian citizens with health care and resettlement,
Why us you ask,
Because this was in the middle of the Vietnam War and the only Aircraft that could fly with safety in the area was an aircraft familier to the US forces and so was less likely to be attacked and that was the U6, This was the designation the US Army gave to the DHC2 Beaver hence our selection.
The adventure started earlier,
821 was fitted with a ferry tank and the belly and wing tip tanks were filled to the brim,
The OC and our QFI, Captain (Red) Meaton (A Korean War veteran who flew Taylorcraft Austers to Korea from japan during that conflict)
We were told that first stop was Phuket Island in Thailand,
With a Blackie and a greenie (Reme aircraft engineers) (Green =Electrics and Black =engines) plus a low life loser were crew,
The carburettor failed over the Indian ocean, a Mayday call was made almost instantly answered by an American Airbase, We gave our position and as we glided on we saw not only land but a straight road free of traffic,
A flawless engine out landing was made by Captain Meaton and pretty much straght after a US Army Bell Huey Helicopter landed on the road in front of us and a couple of MPs positioned themselves to stop any traffic from using the road Our Reme fitters stripped the Carb and with the OC and Captain Meaton flew in the Huey to the base,
With the help of the MPs we turned the Beaver round and shortly after the Huey returned with a new Carb,
Captain Meaton flew the Beaver to the Base, we followed in the Huey,
With the usual generosity of the US armed forces we spent that night in Quarters that we had not expected but really apprieciated flying out the next day to Laos and the start of our mission.
You can wake up now.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thank you very much for sharing your trip with us Louis, especially for those of us that won't ever make such a trip :thumbup:
jarndice wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:48 pm I should love to give a truthful answer but SOG would get me banned from the Forum if I did :haha:
That's untrue, YOU would be the one getting yourself banned should you go against the terms and conditions that you clicked to agree to when joining this forum, so, ner ner nee ner ner :P
Besides, we have a whole team with the ability and permissions to administer a "this is Sparta" style booting ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

lmcq11 and Xiaoshan_Sailor, I am grateful to see all the pictures, and I hope there are more. I was a bit taken aback by the top photo, wondering just what was going on. The rest of the photos are so urban, so busy, so modern. May one travel at will through the countryside in Vietnam?

Return to “Off topic”