Leather strap ideas

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Leather strap ideas

Post by ColemanCollector »

I need to fabricate some leather straps for fastening down some gear. Any ideas out there from those that enjoy a little tank domination?
I'm thinking some doubled-over masking tape strips cut to width would do the job with the right leathery look, but I'm not convinced that that's the best approach from a durability point of view. They don't need to be functional--I know you PE gurus could probably do it--just look like leather straps tightened down with a typical beltbuckle arrangement.
Ideas please and let the leather jokes and GIFs begin! We all need a hobby...

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Leather strap ideas

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks, ColemanCollecor: I, too, am interested in how others create convincing straps to secure stowage. Most especially, I could use tips on how to do so with straps that can be painted to match the color(s) of the stowarge.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I use Tamiya masking tape back to back sliced to suit and painted.
Seems durable enough.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have some straps on order for the turret boxes on the Centurion, When they come I will tell you if I think they are any good.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I bought some actual leather straps from a scale horse website. The leather was a little thick, but I have thinned it using my little mini-desk belt sander. This was the site and the shipping was slow:

https://www.riorondo.com/hardware/
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

What a website! Leather, buckles, harness bits--amazing!
Thanks for the link, Derek.

Mike.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Thanks everyone, I'll be interested to see how the Centurion straps work out. In the meantime, I'll fab up some masking tape versions since they seem to be durable (thanks for the confirm Mr Bix), and see what I can get from that crazy horse harness site!
Mike.

Miken
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

ColemanCollector wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:47 pm What a website! Leather, buckles, harness bits--amazing!

Mike.
No kiddin and I thought our hobby was the obscure end of RC... Scale Equine Hobbyists, OK then...

And I've seen Mr. Bix's use of Tamiya tape used commonly in the armor modeling segment.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

MrChef wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:03 pm
ColemanCollector wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:47 pm What a website! Leather, buckles, harness bits--amazing!

Mike.
No kiddin and I thought our hobby was the obscure end of RC... Scale Equine Hobbyists, OK then...

And I've seen Mr. Bix's use of Tamiya tape used commonly in the armor modeling segment.
NP...yeah, not even sure how I found the site. I was doing the same thing looking for straps. I felt the same way...like...wow...scale horses. I didn't know it was thing either.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Hey ColemanCollecor,
In the past, Ive used this product on a lot of Dioramas for leather straps, flags, and tarps, "Verlinden Lead Foil". Nice thing about it is you can twist it and bend it to the shape you want and it will stay put. Works good for weapon shoulder straps too.
P1010001.JPG
P1010001.JPG (89.39 KiB) Viewed 245 times
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG (87.23 KiB) Viewed 245 times
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (92.47 KiB) Viewed 245 times
P1010004.JPG
P1010004.JPG (91.99 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Have a good one!! :thumbup:
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D