Stuart Restoration

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Stuart Restoration

Post by airmancurran1 »

Alright, I'm looking for some help getting this tank working again. I have an old 21'ts century Stuart that the mice got in to. I would need, Receiver, speed controller, mother board, sound system, basically everything. The motors still work, but they're brushed.
20240203_170003_HDR Cropped.jpg
20240203_170003_HDR Cropped.jpg (374.64 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Stuart Restoration

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Here's someone who joined in Jan. 2023 and showed a Stuart: viewtopic.php?p=336504#p336504 . The thread also includes my shameless plug for my friend's Schiffer book on the 21St Century Stuart as a detailed static build. More searching here on RCTW will likely turn up others who have redone the Stuart with RC.
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:57 pm Here's someone who joined in Jan. 2023 and showed a Stuart: viewtopic.php?p=336504#p336504 . The thread also includes my shameless plug for my friend's Schiffer book on the 21St Century Stuart as a detailed static build. More searching here on RCTW will likely turn up others who have redone the Stuart with RC.
Thanks man. I had this question posed on FB and got grief from this one guy there. He wasn't there to help, just break balls.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

airmancurran1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:40 pm
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:57 pm Here's someone who joined in Jan. 2023 and showed a Stuart: viewtopic.php?p=336504#p336504 . The thread also includes my shameless plug for my friend's Schiffer book on the 21St Century Stuart as a detailed static build. More searching here on RCTW will likely turn up others who have redone the Stuart with RC.
Thanks man. I had this question posed on FB and got grief from this one guy there. He wasn't there to help, just break balls.
Yeah, I saw that post. Definitely someone from my generation. I guess He's never seen any kind of Anime. Ebay is however probably the only place you will find OEM replacement parts for it. A lot of other folks have adapted other stuff to the tank to give it action and sound though. I've seen IBUs, Clarks, and HL boards used as substitutes. The Stuart runs on 12V and has a lot of space inside it so you could go with 12V ESCs, a standard radio, a Benedini sound card (or other sound system), and redo the rotation. You would have to add elevation to it as it doesn't have it stock due to the plastic bolts it fires. Personally I wouldn't bother with the HL way, as I think it's the bare minimum you would need for that tank. Those that know me know that I like to ensure there is some overhead in my builds. The HL solution would not provide for that. I used to own one of these Stuarts, but parted it out years ago as the upper cracked and I didn't have the skills or money at the time to fix it. I definitely wouldn't mind having one again.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

tankme wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:36 pm
airmancurran1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:40 pm
Yeah, I saw that post. Definitely someone from my generation. I guess He's never seen any kind of Anime. Ebay is however probably the only place you will find OEM replacement parts for it. A lot of other folks have adapted other stuff to the tank to give it action and sound though. I've seen IBUs, Clarks, and HL boards used as substitutes. The Stuart runs on 12V and has a lot of space inside it so you could go with 12V ESCs, a standard radio, a Benedini sound card (or other sound system), and redo the rotation. You would have to add elevation to it as it doesn't have it stock due to the plastic bolts it fires. Personally I wouldn't bother with the HL way, as I think it's the bare minimum you would need for that tank. Those that know me know that I like to ensure there is some overhead in my builds. The HL solution would not provide for that. I used to own one of these Stuarts, but parted it out years ago as the upper cracked and I didn't have the skills or money at the time to fix it. I definitely wouldn't mind having one again.
He definitely came across, beyond , rude. I let him know my displeasure with his ,ahem, help. Now, this was what I was looking for. As for OEM parts, I haven't seen any on Ebay. So, you're saying I can use the HL electronics if I wanted to? This would make this a much easier fix. However, Mine's for sale if you want to buy it.
tankme

Post by tankme »

AC, where are you located? Depending on price and shipping I might be interested in taking it off your hands as I've done a few custom installs of large scale tanks. I have a Dragon Sherman in 1/6th sitting in my closet right now waiting for it's turn on the bench. Where the skirts trimmed off fairly well or did the person butcher the cutoff? It's looks like a clean cut from that pic.
Derek
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

tankme wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:26 pm AC, where are you located? Depending on price and shipping I might be interested in taking it off your hands as I've done a few custom installs of large scale tanks. I have a Dragon Sherman in 1/6th sitting in my closet right now waiting for it's turn on the bench. Where the skirts trimmed off fairly well or did the person butcher the cutoff? It's looks like a clean cut from that pic.
I'm in upstate NY near Highland. I took off the skirts. Did as good a job as I could back then. If you live, somewhat close It'd be better to pick it up. I'd like to get $250.00 for it.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Texas isn't anywhere close to NY...lol
Derek
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

tankme wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 am Texas isn't anywhere close to NY...lol
Oh, Yeah. It's not. I'd have to find a box big enough.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

tankme wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 am Texas isn't anywhere close to NY...lol
Sheeet , Its closer than I am !! :problem:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”