TORRO M16 Halftrack

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ratrace
Recruit

Re: TORRO M16 Halftrack

Post by Ratrace »

Nice work, I really want one of these myself but I'm yet to see a good review of one.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Ratrace wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:21 am Nice work, I really want one of these myself but I'm yet to see a good review of one.
That's because most of them end up arriving with broken parts or defective electronics. Mine arrived with no broken parts, but only ran maybe a couple of hours before not powering up. I found that the AA battery box was not working, but the power connector for a NiCD battery ran fine. I even tried to resolder all the connections on the battery box and it still didn't work. I ended up buying the NiCd for it and it's still running.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Actually, Ratrace, addict that I am, I have one, too. It's bone stock and probably from the original 27 mHz production run. But it's still just fine and I get a kick out of the red lights in the AA guns. But I admit that I run my AFVs indoors and with great care, missing, no doubt, some of the fun of running outdoors.
RKRC
Private

Post by RKRC »

I also received mine with a broken barrel. Fortunately, it could easily be glued so that it is not visible. I wonder if the electricity will last when it comes for a trip in the forest.
Ratrace
Recruit

Post by Ratrace »

Yeah, I think that its inevitable that sooner or later I'll take the plunge and get one regardless.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

There is one thing about this hobby though, buy it while it is available. Torro does runs of products. When they sell out, it may be years before they come back in stock. I bought my Half-track in 2018 and they didn't do another batch until 2022 or 2023. There are many times I have kicked myself for not buying a thing only to find out that it has been discontinued or the company has gone out of business.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
RKRC
Private

Post by RKRC »

tankme wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:01 pm There is one thing about this hobby though, buy it while it is available. Torro does runs of products. When they sell out, it may be years before they come back in stock. I bought my Half-track in 2018 and they didn't do another batch until 2022 or 2023. There are many times I have kicked myself for not buying a thing only to find out that it has been discontinued or the company has gone out of business.
I have also tried that several times.... :headbang:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

I picked up one of the 27MHz ones on that principle - cheap on Amazon as they must have been trying to clear the last few :)

Technical question, how do I get the guns etc out of the back? I've not had a look recently, but remember not seeing any screws etc.
RKRC
Private

Post by RKRC »

RobW wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:43 am I picked up one of the 27MHz ones on that principle - cheap on Amazon as they must have been trying to clear the last few :)

Technical question, how do I get the guns etc out of the back? I've not had a look recently, but remember not seeing any screws etc.
Must be answer guilty haven't had mine taken apart and don't expect to until something breaks.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

RobW wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:43 am Technical question, how do I get the guns etc out of the back? I've not had a look recently, but remember not seeing any screws etc.
I'll bring one in pieces to the next club meeting - it's not an easy process and the wiring to the 50 Cal's is just enamelled wire that breaks real easy.

Return to “Other Builds”