Marine Corps specific Abrams MEP3 build with A.I. plus Cannon Smoke + BB Firing + Barrel Recoil + 360 Degree Rotation

MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Marine Corps specific Abrams build with A.I. plus Cannon Smoke + BB Firing + Barrel Recoil + 360 Degree Rotation

Post by MrChef »

Tiger6 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:59 pm The Chieftain put out another video where he pointed out that you only get to see the successful attacks, and showed examples where footage that had been widely circulated had also been heavily cut to suggest that the missiles were more effective than they actually were - in the one case, they wanted you to see the massive single explosion in the clip, and assume that the tank was dead, where as there was actually 7 separate less spectacular hits before and after that one before the crew decided they had had enough and bailed out...

As with everything else, don't accept what they tell you at face value - whether that be war footage, or the various works of fiction by Hr Guderian...
Excellent points. Tis why I mentioned "propaganda" before even posting the above videos.

In this wonderful world of "instant skewed news" it's easy to get swayed one way or another. The above MHV video more directly addresses loss numbers from WWII on for comparison and directly addresses the drone attacks. It's also important to note Both contributors mention the importance of the Tank for it's direct fire mission and if not the tank, what else would do the same job?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Re: Marine Corps specific Abrams build with A.I. plus Cannon Smoke + BB Firing + Barrel Recoil + 360 Degree Rotation

Post by MrChef »

Tiger6 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:59 pm The Chieftain put out another video where he pointed out that you only get to see the successful attacks, and showed examples where footage that had been widely circulated had also been heavily cut to suggest that the missiles were more effective than they actually were - in the one case, they wanted you to see the massive single explosion in the clip, and assume that the tank was dead, where as there was actually 7 separate less spectacular hits before and after that one before the crew decided they had had enough and bailed out...
phpBB [video]

This one?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Yeah that one - I posted that last year, but it got immediately deleted... :shh:
Aurelius
Private

Post by Aurelius »

Interesting viewing, ... much to learn. As to future warfare, I see the battlefields of fifty years from now as being more unfriendly to humans of any ilk (whether sea, air, or land based). A.I. controlled drone aircraft that can pull twelve Gs if needed with no blackout and true hypersonic missiles (very different from what Russia is fielding currently). It is something I will try to dig deeper into later in this thread.

As for now, the bottom of the Abrams is mostly done to our satisfaction:
USMC HL Abrams internals.jpg
USMC HL Abrams internals.jpg (527.1 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Glued in two aluminum support panels
Add two aluminum rigidity rods (tapped them so that small bolts secure them from outside the hull)
Added two higher-end ($60) steel gear sets + 390 motors
Added bearings for the two back drive sprockets
Upgraded the smoker to a $22 AliExpress model (will upgrade further here shortly)
Kept the stock speaker since more than loud enough for our needs
Removed the battery box and now have a flat space to lay the battery and Heng Long MFU
Completed our battery charging mod so that we can charge without removing the top hull
Keeping the 7.0 MFU for now, will be requiring new electronics here shortly for our A.I. needs
Placed magnets in the top and bottom hulls
Wired up the 360 rotation mod with zip ties

Still more to do .... And if veteran tankers here have suggestions for improving our rig further, by all means, let em' rip!
Last edited by Aurelius on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Universe is learn the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ... mathematics.
Aurelius
Private

Post by Aurelius »

Another thing I will note here is that the primary aim of our USMC Abrams is fun and not historical accuracy. Kids love stuff that shoots, explodes, lights up and/or moves, ... and my son is no exception. There are so many great Abrams builds where guys lovingly detail to the extreme. We won't (and couldn't if we tried) be trying to match those builds. Our build is mainly shooting for, ... fun first, ... and new features that I have not seen on any other builds (at least so far). I will also point out that our Abrams build is staying all plastic because running A.I. in real time will require some electrons. Unlike say, Teslas, where most of the battery powers the locomotion of the vehicle, ... a large part of our Abrams battery will be needed to power the A.I. If we ran an all metal Abrams, we would just be greatly reducing our run times and our time to engage other tanks in IR battle.
Last edited by Aurelius on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Universe is learn the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ... mathematics.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Whew! You sure started up a discussion, Aurelius. And IRtWDT :D I am just amazed by what you have already done with your Abrams, and there is plenty of skill and results to amaze one here on RCTW. One simple side note: I don't recall seeing anyone recently with a HengLong NATO camouflage Abrams. I kept that one and gave my weathered Desert camouflage Abrams to an former Marine who, on first seeing my Abrams, said "I vant one! I vant one!"
Aurelius
Private

Post by Aurelius »

Have you seen this mod by Mr Tank a Lot, Professor? :

viewtopic.php?t=33037&start=70

I know nothing about NATO camo patterns but that seems like a great paint job. Do you also have an Abrams like that one? When it comes to skills, I would say that I rank low in the airbrushing department. I own an airbrush and have used it a few times, ... poorly. :D
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I don't think the Marines ever got an M1A2 with the CITV. There was a an HA version of the Abrams which the Marines had a different viewer system as seen in the pic. As far as I know, they never got the A2 CITV.
Marine abrams.jpg
Marine abrams.jpg (133.95 KiB) Viewed 292 times
With a resin 3D printer you could print your own Marine smoke dischargers:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... ischargers

You can see more pics of the box mounted where the CITV goes here:

https://picryl.com/media/us-marine-corp ... ove-6d0036
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Aurelius
Private

Post by Aurelius »

Wow, ... thanks Tankme! 3D printing it is! And digging a bit more, I suspect you are right about the CITV. I can't find any evidence that Marine Abrams ever got any of the SEP or TUSK upgrades, which is surprising given battles like Fallujah I and II. I will probably keep the CITV as is because I need the height of it to hide the crappy Wifi camera, although a funny idea is building in my mind about MEP3. :D More this weekend!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Marine Corps specific Abrams MEP3 build with A.I. plus Cannon Smoke + BB Firing + Barrel Recoil + 360 Degree Rotatio

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Indeed, I always check Mr Tank a Lot's contributions and I subscribe to his videos, for someday I will work on my Abrams and Challenger and T90 and T72 and... Oh, the excesses!

Return to “Modern Builds”