D-Day. A very British Tiger

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

D-Day. A very British Tiger

Post by Meter rat »

As most of you folks on here know I have an adversity to Tigers, because everyone has one, so what is the best way to cure that adversity? Simples buy another. I held off on this while I decided, and did some research in the family and with the Sherwood Rangers.

Although I was born in Scotland, I grew up in Derbyshire. I have a Scottish father and an English mother, whose family hails from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. I knew that that my mothers, grandmother’s brother was in the Nottingham Sherwood Rangers but in what capacity I knew not. I also knew that he was killed towards the end of the war. Just another unsung soldier during his duty who died without the honours of some.

I had also taken an interest in reading about the Sherwoods, after I was given a book about them, written by David Render, I then found another book by James Holland, in which there was a story about some captured panzers. One of which was a Tiger.

The Nottingham Sherwood Rangers were originally a cavalry regiment, and served in Palestine, on horses. They then became a a costal artillery regiment, while awaiting for their tanks to arrive, when they became a an armoured regiment. They served in North Africa, and there is some speculation whether they had a hand in the capture of Tiger 131. Using a captured French artillery piece.

Fast forward to D-Day, and the Sherwood were at the vanguard of the invasion. Being the first ashore on on Gold beach. With their DD Sherman’s, and Shermans. They were at the forefront of the fighting, being the first across the Rhine, right to the end of the war.

Why am I writing this and what has it got to do with a Tiger?
On the 25th June 1944 they were tasked with capturing Rauray. On the 26th June 1944 they we’re supporting the 11th Durham Infantry. On the 27th June they finally captured Rauray at about Midday. This village had been the headquarters of Max Wunsche, it was also the site of the panzer maintenance detachment of the SS-Panzer-Abteillung 101, which also happened to be Michael Wittman’s unit. A number of tanks were found around the village, abandoned due to damage or lack of fuel. The Sherwoods made plans to use them and got some of them going, with the assistance of the Light aid detachment.

John Semken was the squadron commander for A squadron, and requested the use of the panzers, so he could “shove through a hedge knowing that nothing could penetrate it from the other side”. They painted over the painted over the Balkenkreuz and other German marking and replaced them with the red foxes head on yellow, which is the emblem of the 8th Armoured Brigade, and 996 which was the Sherwood Rangers number. Sadly this was as close as the captured panzers got to being part of the Sherwood regiment. The next day the request was refused, and they were taken away for evaluation and examination back in England. They never got to be used against their former owners.

I found out my Great Great uncle was a mechanic and was involved in getting the tanks running, so I wanted to build this on behalf of him, and others who kept the tanks running. I am assuming that the panzers were allowed to remain and become part of the Rangers.

So I introduce Tiger 114, a late Tiger which briefly became part of A squadron, The Nottinghamshire Sherwood Yeomanry.
9FC2ADEA-8768-4966-9DDB-8A1C63B82E92.jpeg
9FC2ADEA-8768-4966-9DDB-8A1C63B82E92.jpeg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 561 times
60FEE64E-07FD-4AA1-A878-D864E7067F1B.jpeg
60FEE64E-07FD-4AA1-A878-D864E7067F1B.jpeg (134.17 KiB) Viewed 561 times
E612F2F7-626C-4494-97DF-EBB839AFA27C.jpeg
E612F2F7-626C-4494-97DF-EBB839AFA27C.jpeg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Work has started, with removal of the aerial tubes on both sides.
17C91D7A-B958-4676-B3D7-D7F77F533462.jpeg
17C91D7A-B958-4676-B3D7-D7F77F533462.jpeg (126.95 KiB) Viewed 561 times
067516BB-231E-4A02-B147-9A118BBB329A.jpeg
067516BB-231E-4A02-B147-9A118BBB329A.jpeg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 561 times
The right hand side will be replaced with one made of brass tube. I removed the front mudguards at the same time.
I think I have now invalidated the warranty.
C69B1623-FDF4-448C-A8A2-B73BA3077741.jpeg
C69B1623-FDF4-448C-A8A2-B73BA3077741.jpeg (138.03 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Last edited by Meter rat on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: A very British Tiger

Post by Ecam »

Good start and a great story!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Very interesting. I learn something new everyday and I look forward to your progress.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A great tale and when you think that the German army pretty much relied on captured vehicles in North Africa (including Rommels Humber Command Car) the use of German Armour by the allies should not be a surprise and I am sure that there are a lot more tales to be told although revealing as much Tac detail is probably less likely. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Excellent subject material Mr Rat
I see a set of stencils coming from Mr Schuart in the near future !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

A very interesting idea for a Tiger Build. This seems to be the winter of the Tiger. Which is good I think they kind of fell out of favour for a few years. I know they certainly are with me this winter :thumbup:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

If I read you correctly, the Nottingham Sherwood Rangers were "at the forefront of the fighting, being the first across the Rhine." Interesting! Were they among the first across the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen? Or did the somehow cross earlier?

Oh, unh, is that a brown Hairy Coo next to your bed?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:11 am Oh, unh, is that a brown Hairy Coo next to your bed?
:wtf: Whaaaa daaaa? :wtf:

Nevermind. I absolutely Do not want to know the answer to your question.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Excellent Mr. Rat! It's Officially official then.

I love the tank. I love the deal you got too, even though I'm a bit jealous since my birthday actually is this month and they aren't offering any such good deals over here.

I really like the story and you've done some good research. I also appreciate the family connection.
Meter rat wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:09 pm They painted over the painted over the Balkenkreuz and other German marking and replaced them with the red foxes head on yellow, which is the emblem of the 8th Armoured Brigade, and 996 which was the Sherwood Rangers number.

But, What does the fox say?

phpBB [video]

Thought I'd keep it G rated for the forum family... :/
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:54 pm I see a set of stencils coming from Mr Schuart in the near future !!
Correct.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:11 am If I read you correctly, the Nottingham Sherwood Rangers were "at the forefront of the fighting, being the first across the Rhine." Interesting! Were they among the first across the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen? Or did the somehow cross earlier?

Oh, unh, is that a brown Hairy Coo next to your bed?
Hairy Brown Coo-No it’s the wife ‘S. That’s the sofa. Canna move in oor hoose for
Heilan Coos, and Gnomes.

Herr Prof. I will confirm by reading the books. This is what I briefly read this morning.

Sgt Nelson, from the Recon troop were the first British Troops in Germany on the 21 September 1944. In a Stuart light tank.

I believe they crossed the Rhine on pontoon bridges one code named Gravesend, and rafts. This was on the 26 March. That must have been 1945.
Last edited by Meter rat on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group Builds”