Panzer IV with Schürzen

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Panzer IV with Schürzen

Post by Ecam »

Ok, Changed the title.

Originally I was going to wait to post this, but there is no reason this can't sit and get updated like the others.

There is a thread in our "what to fix on your new tank" section: viewtopic.php?t=3004

It has a list of some of the things that need work. This thread and others in the HL section helped me with some of the issues.

Drives needed some elevation and the new low profile gear boxes might make this an easier fix.

The little square riser is just up to the level of the original mounting pads. Then a spacer was added on top with longer screws and extended alignment pins. Most of this work was done years ago, the battery box and steel floor were the last two days.

Then the rear return idler needed to be dropped a bit, rectangle cut, flip and glue back in.

The hardest part of this is making room for the standard gear box motor to fit the PZ IV. Transmission trimming, motor repositioning, hull trimming and moving the outer drive housings to fit the new position on the axles.

Last edited by Ecam on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Panzer IV with Bix armor

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

O.K. I'll bite: what is "Bix armor"? Herman, do you want to handle this one?

istockphoto-542091428-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-542091428-612x612.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m hooked.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh hell no I’m as curious as you are !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

"The rear return Idler/roller needs to be dropped a bit" =2.5mm to 5mm :haha:
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Nice start Eric, never thought about modifying the gearboxes this way !
Like the other, I can't wait to see what "Bix armor" stands for ! :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Brass hand made Schurzen with brass turret set to match ?? :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:43 am Brass hand made Schurzen with brass turret set to match ?? :think:
Winner! Just thought the title needed to be unique.

Eric
Ecam

Re: Panzer IV with Schürzen

Post by Ecam »

It has been well mentioned that the rear deck on the HL PzIV is missing any slope. An irony I found is in the HL manual that comes with the tank, on the decal placement page their art work shows a sloped rear deck. There are many ways to do this but many of the pictures are missing. In the pictures and drawings I have looked at, the bend is a bit further back and through the longer hatch on the right side (right through the right door's forward hinge). I chose to bend mine right at the top of that hatch. Clamped straight edge and draw the knife backwards (for the new guys that might not be aware of this passed down trick). Scribed a groove underneath to help the plastic move. Worst part of the job is the HL glue monkey.

Pilot hole and pencil marks.

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Panzer IV with Schürzen

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Alas I remember with some trauma the same effort getting that slope on the rear deck on my sole Pz4 :/
Bummer is that once it’s done and schurzen is fitted, ya can’t see it :headbang:
Like most things we do in these things, we know they’re there and that’s what counts!
Once I get onto the version I have just acquired , the P4 thing will kick in again :think:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”