Matilda II

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
MikeN
Private

Matilda II

Post by MikeN »

I made this about 25 years ago.
I dont think many people were making big tanks back then.
Its painted in the colours that the Matilda at Bovington was in when I visited all those years ago to measure it.
I notice when I visited last year that its been repainted in different colours now.
Is that because it was incorrect?
I have a vague memory of hearing or reading that the blue colour wasnt right. Is that true or am I imagine that?
The model is all steel construction apart from the turret which is mostly bashed out of quite thick brass plate.
Cant remember why I used brass now . Probably because its easier to work into strange shapes than steel.
I remember hammering all over the gun mantlet with a ball pein hammer to give a "cast" finish. It worked quite well.
I made it before I new about water jetting or laser cutting and I dont know anything about CNC so I had to mill every track link individually from 5mm steel plate.
Then cross drill for the link pin. Then weld on the track shoe. Then weld on the track guide. Then I oil blacked them.
Because of all that, I think that's why its taken me so long before I started my Renault.
Its been sitting on my bench now for a couple of decades under a heap of old towels.
I think when Ive finished the FT I would like to re commission it and put some up to date electronics in it.
Its got some old pcb thing that takes up most of the inside space.
Cant remeber what motors its got inside but It was quite powerful and would carry me round my garden standing on the bare hull.
Its very heavy. I can no longer lift it on my own. The side skirts are scale thickness steel and the armoured radiator louvres are solid steel not formed or pressed.

Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Matilda II

Post by Tiger6 »

wow, that is a beast alright!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Now that is brilliant!

I want one!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Beautiful! Walzing Matilda, walzing Matilda, I wish that Matilda were walzing with me.
"I remember hammering all over the gun mantlet with a ball pein hammer to give a "cast" finish. It worked quite well." Gee, and I went to all that trouble with Mr. Surfacer 500 when I could have just taken out my ball peen hammer. That would have solved all my problems. :crazy:
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I scrolled up from Herr Doc's comment and the first picture I saw was your 5th picture and I thought it WAS the tank at Bovington! Great job on this one too.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Another mind blowing tank. You are a true master ! Thanks for sharing these gems with us, you're trully an inspiration !
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Ssme here. I was looking at the last pic and thinking they sure had big nails in the museum! Fabulous work!
Yes, the Caunter scheme has undergone some revisions in what the colours should be, mostly around the light blue. This is a good, current article on everything Caunter--including colour descriptions.
https://www.keymilitary.com/article/hiding-plain-sight

Mike.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

wow awesome
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Magnificent, and thanks for sharing it with us all.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Gorgeous work! What scale is it?
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”