Looking at a new tank, perhaps. Thoughts?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Looking at a new tank, perhaps. Thoughts?

Post by Mithras »

Hello, me lovelies.

So, I’ve got a small royalty payment coming in and I’m looking at a new addition. However, you lot have more knowledge than I of the existing product. May I query as to your opinions regarding the following? I may have the companies wrong.

Essentially, I want something reliable that’ll generally be IR combat compatible.

- Mato Sturmtiger , Tiger

- Heng Long StuG, King Tiger

- Toro Jagdtiger

- Tongde Bradley

Am I correct in recalling that the Haya Chieftain is generally tricky?

Finally, I could swear someone did a Panther ‘A,’ but can’t find it.

I know this is a lot of ground to cover, but I’d rather seek out opinions before investing again.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Looking at a new tank, perhaps. Thoughts?

Post by Tiger6 »

It depends what you mean to be "IR combat compatible"?
if you mean fully Tamiya compatible, then that list is out of the window.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

I mean usable with most common systems. Obviously, they’d have to be adapted to Tamiya.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

viewtopic.php?t=24722

This is one A-version conversion. the other was ages ago by Mr DGS Selkirk., and I remember Mr Esterniche doing one but I will look.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

Unless you count the Pantiger from Heng Long the only manufacturer that ever made a Panther Ausf A was Hachette and it was a static model. It was released as one of those magazine subscription thing where you get a set of parts per issue. From the images i have seen it has quite a few errors to say the least.

It would probably be easier to backdate an Ausf G, build one from a Ludwig kit or 3D print one.
Parts are certainly easier to find for an A than a D as quite a few remained the same until the end of the war.
Panther D (WIP)
Panther A (WIP)
Panther G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Churchill VII (WIP)
Chieftain Mk 3 (WIP)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

To further reduce the list I would avoid Mato's Armour, The metal used is suspect,
The Tongde is good value and with a little extra work would turn into a very nice model.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Thank you all for the input thus far. Very much appreciated. Is the Torro Sturmtiger worth a look? Don’t know much about Torro models, in general.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:49 am viewtopic.php?t=24722

This is one A-version conversion. the other was ages ago by Mr DGS Selkirk., and I remember Mr Esterniche doing one but I will look.

Well, horsefeathers. The Hungarian tankers only received A’s! Good to know, though. Perhaps I saw a Pantiger or a Panther F and read the labeling wrong (alright, if I read it from a -long- distance.)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Have you considered a tamiya kit?
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ecam »

Mithras wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:51 am Well, horsefeathers. The Hungarian tankers only received A’s! Good to know, though. Perhaps I saw a Pantiger or a Panther F and read the labeling wrong (alright, if I read it from a -long- distance.)
If you haven't looked at or researched the Pantiger, do so before you ever order one. It has somewhat of a reputation in the RC tank community.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric

Return to “General Questions”