Renault FT 1:6

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
MikeN
Private

Renault FT 1:6

Post by MikeN »

I started build my FT last summer. Its in 1:6 scale and is fabricated mostly from steel with the main exception of the turret which I had cast in iron.
I decided that the tracks were the hardest/most tedious bits to make so I started with them.
There are 11 components to each track link and 64 links required. I made 70 in case I had any failures.

MikeN
Private

Re: Renault FT

Post by MikeN »

MikeN
Private

Post by MikeN »

Ok thats strange. I tried to upload several pictures but its only doing one at a time.

MikeN
Private

Post by MikeN »

Still only doing one at a time

MikeN
Private

Post by MikeN »

Oh well, Heres another one.
MikeN
Private

Post by MikeN »

Each link is joined to its neighbour with a pin (of course) and each link pin is retained with a cross pin that is hammered over to stop it falling out.
The main flat track plates are made by hammering over a steel former before machining round the edges to get the final shape. they have a second bit welded on to thicken up the upturned part that sticks in the mud for grip. Sorry i dont know what that bits called.
After all the silver soldering and welding processes were completed I cleaned the parts in a bucket of Phosphoric acid which leaves a nice grey phosphate finish
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Fabulous work! Second and third pictures show links and parts. How are those made? I'm assuming a CNC plasma is too large, laser?
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Renault FT 1:6

Post by Kaczor »

Amazing!

PS. I moved the topic to the proper section.
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Renault FT 1:6

Post by Ad Lav »

Giant Meccano!
MikeN
Private

Post by MikeN »

Ecam wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:32 pm Fabulous work! Second and third pictures show links and parts. How are those made? I'm assuming a CNC plasma is too large, laser?
Thanks, Yes I had these track parts laser cut. Also the drive sprocket inner and outer ring.
Everything else is roughed out with an angle grinder and hacksaw prior to machining.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”