Renault FT 1:6

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Re: Renault FT 1:6

Post by MikeN »

Just noticed , looking at the pictures , that I forgot to put in the 2 sets of 3 rivets at the bottom pivot end of the skid.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Wow, hand start. I would have thought it electric start. Somewhere around that time the electric start came into use, but I couldn't say when or where.

Yeah, I can just imagen the conversation - "you killed it, you get out"!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

Ecam wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:40 pm Wow, hand start. I would have thought it electric start. Somewhere around that time the electric start came into use, but I couldn't say when or where.
These tanks didnt have any electrics . The ignition was by magneto. So wind over the engine and sparks come out of the plugs. No lights, so no battery or dynamo needed. Manual turret traverse and gun elevation.
Cars and motorbikes of this era were typically still using acetylene lamps, so no battery required.
The car I owned before the one I have now, that I sold 4 years ago was a 1927 Morris Cowley, also with magneto ignition. Although It did have an elctric Dynostarter and electric lights. I used to enjoy starting it with the handle. My new car (its only a mere 70 years old) by comparison feels much more modern.
I think British WW1 tanks were also hand started (from inside).
BTW, I live about 5 miles from the Ricardo factory in Shoreham UK. Who made the engines for British WW1 tanks.
They still do engine development for many major vehicle manufaturers all around the world. You see a lot of prototype cars coming and going from their site on test drives around Sussex. You can always spot them because they are vinyl wrapped in black and white "Dazzle" style camoflauge to make it harder to determine the manufacturer.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thinking about it the late Model T finally received electric start probably mid 20s. I had to work on a T truck for work and mom had a Model A. The two were just a couple years apart but completely different from each other. The Model A was more similar to a 60s era car than it was to the one it replaced.

Anyway, tremendous build on the FT. In my top five builds of all time!

Eric
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

It was fun making the hammer today. From a bit of square steel rod.
An old paintbrush became the handle.
Here fitting the wedge:

MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

I dont know why they made the hammer shaft pass through the radiator grill like that. It would have been much simpler to fit it to the other side of the engine cover.
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

I also added the curly horn things to the tail skid that the tow chains hook on to.

Ecam

Post by Ecam »

That sledge hammer is a work of art on its own! Always fun to see your updates.

Eric
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

I have now fitted the r/c components. I knew virtually about this subject but fortunately this video helped. Even I could understand the wiring diagram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGDsmdWXW8

MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

I tideid upt the inside of the drivers compartment with some scale chequer plate

Return to “Larger Scale Military”