if a tree falls in the woods?....

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

if a tree falls in the woods?....

Post by MrChef »

I don't think I've mentioned I live in a rather rural area. And I have a very long driveway that resembles a road in the woods. Everybody thinks New York is just the city. It's a BIG state. A homeowners work is never done. We had very high winds yesterday. Came home late last night after work to find this bugger blocking my path. It was dark and cold so I just parked and hoofed up the drive. I had to cut and remove it this morning.

Tree=

No Tree=

I have to cut up more of that crap and another bigger tree that came down this spring but quick like a bunny it's out of the way. Now off to the market for some shopping, getting ready for some snow tonight/tomorrow.

If anyone is interested the saw is a STIHL MS 271. I store it in the basement with stabilized gas just for instanaces like these that usually happen in the winter time. Starts up 3 pulls.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: if a tree falls in the woods?....

Post by ColemanCollector »

Looks like nice salamander habitat. Gonna leave some of the big logs and leaf litter to go back to the earth with the little devils underneath?
Nice woodlot!
Mike.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Ooohhhh I have very healthy wildlife population. When I cut trees down and stack wood piles they are quickly inhabited by the large local snake population. So salamanders and millipedes abound. We have deer, turkey, fox, raccoon, every year we have mating hawks, rabbit, oppossum, coyote, ohh my the list boarders on absurd sometimes. Even came home to a young black bear at the front door one night.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Sounds like a great place to live. We are rural as well, surrounded by abandoned farm fields, hedgerows and small woodlots. I would kill to have mature hardwoods on my property like yours.
Check out the local gang of punk turkeys looking for trouble on our road this fall.
20231102_172754.jpg
20231102_172754.jpg (867.7 KiB) Viewed 19517 times
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Oh you like trees? I've got a Black Maple in my front yard that I can't put my arms around. I'll have to take some more nature pics soon. I also have a beautiful very well developed Japanese Maple right outside my front door.

The turkey's sure are punks, sorry maybe I should have said I live at a zoo or on a nature preserve. I do know that they are aggressive. I had a family wander through my yard last year with about 5 chicks in tow. Momma chased after me when I got too close.

The back of my property butts up to State park land.

Your picture looks like you're right down the road from me Mike. :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Does a bear sh*t in the woods?....

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That was lucky it was only a little one ;)
See, trees are not the only logs to fall in the woods. . . .
Attachments
60178-5fba6e28-8d4f-44ad-892a-5428ed416df7.jpeg
60178-5fba6e28-8d4f-44ad-892a-5428ed416df7.jpeg (128 KiB) Viewed 18696 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I remember the hurricane southern England was hit by in the 80's, he my memory is correct, 1987 :think:
You couldn't get a chain saw for love nor money, local councils/government were paying good money to anyone with a chain saw to help clear the roads.
I was helping rebuild houses that were directly damaged by trees, or indirectly by ripping down power cables. Surprising how much damage a falling power cable can cause when it's attached to a brick wall.

Anyway, you be careful with that saw :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Thank goodness for chainsaws - hope you’ve got some good chainsaw gloves and trousers :)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ad Lav wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:52 pm Thank goodness for chainsaws - hope you’ve got some good chainsaw gloves and trousers :)
And safety specks/goggles :thumbup:

Pavel
Lance Corporal

Post by Pavel »

Pants, boots, and yes glasses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2qi1gxGMo

Return to “Off topic”