New Panzer IV

Tell forum members about your new purchase here, your chance to let others know what is in the box.
vtwillys
Recruit

New Panzer IV

Post by vtwillys »

Here is the P IV as presented by Torro. With the exception of the upper hull, all metal. This is my 3rd tank in a month after just finding the hobby. Retired guy so looking to learn new things and have fun doing it.

My other tanks are HL and in many ways are actually “better” than the Torro. This tank seems to have a bad smoker out of the box. Took off upper hull and found the smoker to be very intact, but overfilled. Dried out and still no joy. Will likely need to have smoker replacement installed. :headbang:
Attachments
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 29024 times
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 29024 times
jarndice
Colonel

Re: New Panzer IV

Post by jarndice »

The Taigen/Torro Panzer 4 has in my unworthy opinion the best interpretation of a PZ4 Turret available unfortunately it is mounted on a body that has most tools and impedimenta moulded onto it unlike the Heng Long PZ4 whose tools are on a sprue giving you a choice of location and metal or plastic, Heng Longs Turret conversely is a great disappointment,
Lots of upgrades available and many Heng Long parts are interchangeable including tracks.
I shall watch your build with interest.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
vtwillys
Recruit

Post by vtwillys »

Thanks, working on finishing the Sherman first as I go down the rabbit hole of learning to detail and weather as well. :D
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Taigen Pz IV is a great base for a nice model.

PS. They still mount the tracks on the hull upside down :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"This is my 3rd tank in a month after just finding the hobby." Oh, that's the spirit! ...a man after my own heart and addictive tendencies. Jarndice is right: the relief cast details (tools, etc.) are a real disappointment, but I was lucky: having modeled as a young man and come back on retirement forty years later, I could handle painting the details with the help of one of those magnifying eye goggles that make one look like Gort in "The Day the Earth Stood Still." As to the smoke unit: smoke units, even better aftermarket ones, are not expensive.
Did you notice that the "crate" for your Pzkw. IV is marked on the end as for a Königstiger? That's a bit odd. Did you get it from Torro or somewhere else?
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 am Did you notice that the "crate" for your Pzkw. IV is marked on the end as for a Königstiger?
"grau/IR" as well.

But that is a camo job I haven't seen yet.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Yes, the camo is unusual!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Like some sort of funky "Real Tree Camo" from Cabela's !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 am Like some sort of funky "Real Tree Camo" from Cabela's !!!
Some nice cattail silhouettes on the lower hull. Just checked my Canadian Migratory Bird Act hunting regs and you can only use 12-20 gauge shotguns...and 75mm KwK 40 cannons.
Game on!

Nice looking tank, metal bottom/plastic uppers (perfect combo), and loads of potential! Nice buy!

Mike.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

ColemanCollector wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:00 pm
HERMAN BIX wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 am Like some sort of funky "Real Tree Camo" from Cabela's !!!
Some nice cattail silhouettes on the lower hull. Just checked my Canadian Migratory Bird Act hunting regs and you can only use 12-20 gauge shotguns...and 75mm KwK 40 cannons.
Game on!

Nice looking tank, metal bottom/plastic uppers (perfect combo), and loads of potential! Nice buy!

Mike.
If you dont mind working to move the 4th roller down 2.5 mm and dremel off the rear idler and fit an aftermarket adjustable replacemant and raise the front sprocket. :lolno:
Oh and you will need to remove the moulded on tools. :thumbdown:
The Turret is very good though. :thumbup:
Until Taigen/Asiatam produce a metal hull as accurate as the Tamiya I would save your money or be prepared for a few hours extra work to get it right.
I have tried both the Taigen/Torro and the Asiatam Metal Hulls and they are very expensive considering the errors that YOU will have to fix,
The Asiatam hull is too long and the rear mounting points are for you to work out because Asiatam have not.
Do be very aware.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Unboxing”