A pair of threes. Stug/PZIII

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: A pair of threes. Stug/PZIII

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes! That's the best version yet! And, indeed, I know about 30 minutes turning into 14 hours. Gee, it only takes me 30 minutes to get up and ready each morning.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Thanks Doc, glad to be out of the dog house!

Used regular model cement to stick the screen to the box. After the glue dries a pair of scissors trimmed the screen. Then CA to mount the angle on top of the screen.

Best overhead view I could come up with

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

So while waiting for glue to dry on the other set of vents, I worked on the spare mounts for both threes.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

My book information on the Pz III is good but limited. My P3 is very close to a late ausf J and L. My books aren't clear on when the Schürzen (spaced armor) was started. My books show Schürzen on the ausf M and N. Those are fairly different to the J & L versions. Would it be legit to put the spaced armor on the J & L? Otherwise I may leave it off this build and do another later. The Stug will definitely get the Schürzen.

I know some of you are way ahead of my studies on this subject.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

The screens turned out superbly! As to PzKfw. III books, it’s late now but if nobody beats me to it, I can rummage through mine. The question is, could the PzKfw. IIIJ or L have Schürtzen.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Correct. Were there field mods or were they ever factory installed (on the ausf J or L)?

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Intake screens for both complete. And while I was in the mood...
Saw a picture of this somewhere but couldn't find it when I went back to look.

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love it :thumbup:
Just check if you are doing a late-ish StuG they had diffusers/heat guards on the inside of the exhaust outlets I assume to reduce the level of Co2 intake back into the engine bay.
The new Heller etc kits show them. Ive not done them yet.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I found a bit on PzKfw. III with Schürzen from two of my books.

Doyle, David. Panzerkampfwagen III: Germany's Early World War II Main Tank. Legends of Warfare. Schiffer Military, 2020 ISBN 978-0-7643-5958-3.
Page 92 shows a photo of a PzKfw. III J or L with Schürzen at Kursk. Doyle explains that, "The Schürzen supplemental armored panels were meant to be fitted to all active service Panzer III variants by 1943.

Spielberger, Walter J. Panzer III und seine Abarten. Motorbuch Verlag, 2013. ISBN 978-3-61303550-8.
On page 69 Spielberger explains that "On March 19, 1943 Panzer IIIs were for the first time produced with side-mounted Schürzen."

Spielberger also points out (p. 59) that "in the course of production of the L variant, the emergency exit hatches on both side of the lower hull of the E variant were omitted."

translations mine
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Great information Herr Doc! I plan to delete the side hatches on the Stug but not sure yet on the Pz III depends on the late J or L. Thank you, I will get back to them tomorrow. Worked on a Pz IV today removing the Battery box and reinforcing the floor (don't worry I will save the pictures on this one and start a thread someday). Have only 4 more HLs that need battery box removals wish I would have started doing that years ago.

Eric

Return to “Heng Long Builds”