[D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: [D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I have to live with a droopy gun." Now let me see, who said that to me recently?
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

cmryanuk wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:06 pm I have to live with a droopy gun :-(
You don't even need to go to a Dr. for this anymore. I hear commercials all the time for websites where you just answer some questions and for a small fee of course they'll ship what you need to your home in an unmarked box.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

On this side of the big water we just go to the Chemist (Pharmacy) and buy it over the counter, It ceased being a prescription drug some years ago :thumbup:
HM Government illogically stopped making life hard for men of this country by a minor adjustment---in the law :D
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

I'm having the same sort of issue with the whole starter crank/handle thing myself. Apparently on a mid command tank the handle was on the left side of the hull as opposed to the right hand side on a normal mid but with the big pry bar and antenna base I can't see where it would fit. Also on my early Tamiya the starter crank shaft along with a few other parts got knocked off over the last few years and the replacement D sprue is an expensive unicorn now so it looks like I'll have to try and scratch build one. However other than the Bovington Tiger I can't find an image of where the handle for it was stored in the field. Also in the search I had never seen the 2 track links being mounted on the bottom of the rear plate covering the starter crank before so maybe that could be an option
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

I'm going to use some KS aluminum tubing and see if it solves the problem with the missing crank and handle
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Bloody comedians! :haha:
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:35 pm I'm having the same sort of issue with the whole starter crank/handle thing myself. Apparently on a mid command tank the handle was on the left side of the hull as opposed to the right hand side on a normal mid but with the big pry bar and antenna base I can't see where it would fit. Also on my early Tamiya the starter crank shaft along with a few other parts got knocked off over the last few years and the replacement D sprue is an expensive unicorn now so it looks like I'll have to try and scratch build one. However other than the Bovington Tiger I can't find an image of where the handle for it was stored in the field. Also in the search I had never seen the 2 track links being mounted on the bottom of the rear plate covering the starter crank before so maybe that could be an option
Panzermechaniker I think the change of crank mount was because of the extra antenna on command tanks. I might be able to send you a crank shaft left over from my Aber photo-etched set but at the moment I am considering whether I chop it up to make the crank handle. Seems a bad use of a good part though. Let me mull it over and let you know in a few days.

I think in early Tigers the crank handle was stored inside the tank. The only video I've seen is the Bovington Tiger being crank started with a Panther crank.
20240207_215643.jpg
20240207_215643.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 220 times
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Thank you for the very nice offer but that image is exactly what I was looking for. I can scratch build one from tube and scrap photo etch using it. If i screw it up there is always mud that can be splattered down there :haha:

Here is the image of the early Tiger with the track links at the bottom of the rear plate I mentioned. I had never seen that picture before

https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/96/e8/09/9 ... 535de2.jpg
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Found what I was looking for

viewtopic.php?t=8350&start=280

Tanks_for_the_memories scratch built the handle for mid production so if you want my crank Panzermechaniker you're welcome. It's too nice to slice!

Can anyone following this spare me a Tamiya suspension arm? One of mine has rounded out the grub screw hole. I don't want to spend £30 on a full bag when I only need 1
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

I looked but I only have spares for the KVs and Jagdpanther/Panther.

Return to “Group Builds”