[D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Re: [D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

Post by cmryanuk »

MrChef wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:37 am I'm a sucker for a Tiger I anyway but, You are doing Awesome work here cmryanuk! You're motivating me and giving me more ideas.
There's something about Tiger's, Mr Chef. You can see why they were so feared by the Allies. I'm very lucky that my local tank museum has a running early Tiger. I haven't been for a year or so but I'm tempted to pay another visit.
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Managed to get a couple of hours in today despite feeling tired and listless due to a pub crawl yesterday. I've made a spare antenna tube out of a length of 1/8 plastic tube and spare photo-etched straps to mount it. I'm going to paint, camo and seal it off the tank to avoid overpainting the sealed model.

I've assembled it and tested some functions. The turret rotation is troublesome so needs some attention. It sticks and I can hear the clutch slipping.

More pics soon
Attachments
20240204_152819.jpg
20240204_152819.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 359 times
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I'm still watching, cmryanuk: "winter" and "D-Day" group builds such as yours have already pushed me to stretch my skills. Thanks for all your updates: every one is a learning opportunity for me.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Thank you for this build. It is giving me ideas of how to do things for myself. I might have a go at your method of building the tow rope holders, but making them from brass and plastic. Barry C gave me the confidence to drill out, and make working hinges on my Abrams. Likewise your self for the cable and tool holders. There is something about Tigers as you say. Not so much the machine, but the story and history behind some of them.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have to say the most challenging part of my first Tiger 1 build was fitting working hinges to the front and rear fenders, It became easier when I glued 1mm plasticard on the inside of the fenders,
To imitate the rivets I used foreshortened Dress pins which gave me a rivet head and enough shaft to pass through the plasticard and a dab of superglue,
Not a lot of fun doing it but a smile of happiness when it was finished.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"To imitate the rivets I used foreshortened Dress pins." I remember checking details of foreshortened dresses back in the late '60s. @)
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

All fired up!

Batteries charged and I've now got most functions working properly, except the machine gun. I found the turret rotation was in the wrong channel, so I swapped it to the left as per the manual. I'm going to try reset the MF01 to see if I can get the M/G working.

I've also CA glued the turret rotation clutch gear, cleaned paint off contact parts and greased the gears. Bingo! We have turret rotation.

The spare antenna tube is painted and fitted, and the left side cable is primed and top coated with dark silver enamel. The end loops need painting and the whole thing weathering. I need some rust colours.

The stiffened deck has also been improved by adding magnets that stick to angled brackets inside.

I've got to figure out how to mount the antenna I bought from Germany. It has a rubber base that sits in the hole where the Tamiya antenna exits. Unfortunately the rubber bit is so short it wont stay on its own.. I want it removable for transport.
Attachments
20240205_164139.jpg
20240205_164139.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 270 times
20240205_164127.jpg
20240205_164127.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 270 times
20240205_164119.jpg
20240205_164119.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 270 times
20240205_164112.jpg
20240205_164112.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 270 times
20240205_164103.jpg
20240205_164103.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 270 times
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I know you have already thought of what I am about to say which is why my comments wont cause offence,
The Jack handle needs a clamp,
The starting handle needs locating on the base of the rear panel unless your Tiger 1 is a Mid and had the 2 piece starting handle which is fitted around the radio aerial,
Peddinghaus sell a decal sheet of Fire extinguisher Placards which lift the item,
I am so pleased that you addressed the spare aerial tube an item so often neglected BUT overall a brilliant interpretation of a Tiger 1,
IMPRESSED. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

jarndice wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:02 pm I know you have already thought of what I am about to say which is why my comments wont cause offence,
The Jack handle needs a clamp,
The starting handle needs locating on the base of the rear panel unless your Tiger 1 is a Mid and had the 2 piece starting handle which is fitted around the radio aerial,
Peddinghaus sell a decal sheet of Fire extinguisher Placards which lift the item,
I am so pleased that you addressed the spare aerial tube an item so often neglected BUT overall a brilliant interpretation of a Tiger 1,
IMPRESSED. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
The strap for the jack handle I can handle mocking up with left over PE. The bracket holders for the jack is whats got me stewing. I'm relatively basic when it comes to fabbing. I'm going to try some styrene but I definitely won't have wing nuts like that. I may just do a temporary mount and when I can find a substitute fix it the way Jimster did with his early Tiger project.

Too bad we can't easily source this jack and setup from the back of the WSN Torro Tiger I?

Yes Excellent work cmryanuk!!!
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Hi Jarndice, feedback always appreciated.

The jack handle has a clamp, I used spare p-e brass, it's quite hard to see now it's painted.

I've been ignoring the starter handle which being the 2 part mid one should mount on the deck. I have to figure out the materials to make one, then add it. That can be done later.

Mr Chef, the brackets for the jack with moulded wing nuts came from MK Modellbau. I used the original Tamiya clamps and glued on the end plate. It passed Jarndice's inspection!

I've also seen the decal sheet for the extinguisher but wasn't worth the postage for just 1 item. Iirc Forgebear sells them.

Due to an unfortunate collision while resetting the r/c my barrel elevation mechanism has a broken arm. In the instructions it's J1 black nylon arm that links the gearbox to the traverse arm. I've ordered a spare from Forgebear but Dave's away for 2 weeks so I have to live with a droopy gun :-(
Last edited by cmryanuk on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group Builds”