761st Tank Battalion M4A3 in the Ardennes

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Mithras
Corporal

Re: 761st Tank Battalion M4A3 in the Ardennes

Post by Mithras »

MrChef wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:52 am
ColemanCollector wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:49 pm
Tiger6 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:43 am Be extremely cautious about anything you read in that book, the publisher added in a bunch of embellishments and outright concoctions to make it sell better...
Most definitely what Tiger6 says!
Not to mention the Panzer Aces books...
What, not Panzer Aces!;)

But seriously, I do appreciate the notes. I myself am reading with a heavy packet of salt on hand. Does anybody happen to know which sections were deliberately altered? Some of the details certainly match accounts I’ve read elsewhere.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

phpBB [video]
- covers most of the obvious myths,
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Since were sharing videos...

A little Panzer Ace Debunking=

phpBB [video]

A link to the paper written by Dr. Roman Töppel mentioned in the video=

https://www.academia.edu/37429738/The_W ... wski_2018_
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Very helpful friendos, thank you.

A brief update, owing to one of the wonders of PTSD: Insomnia.

My accessories from Forgebear arrived today, and I’m pleased as punch. Now I have all I need to start building her back up and painting her. Photos as soon as I make progress.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

SUNDAY’S work consisted of prepping for paint. Essentially that involved a clean in the sonic cleaner for all of the resin and metal, followed by clear coat as primer for the metal tracks and road wheels. Also took some time to inspect the metal aftermarket parts I received.

Today I weathered and dirtied the metal tracks and road wheels using AK Interactive’s rust triad and AK Dark Earth for a touch of mud on the road wheels. There’s currently a staggeringly annoying singer-guitarist playing too loud in my ear down the local, and as such, I may be a bit scrambled in my notes here…

Painting began with a heavy dry brush of dark rust over the tracks and a coat of American Dark Green for the insides of the road wheels: complete in some areas, weathered away in others, and none on a small number.

Followed this with moderate drybrush of medium rust and touched up the road wheels by painting the rims and clearing stray paint from rubber tires.

Whilst this dried, a light drybrush of light rust was applied to the tracks. Took a few moments to stretch my back, place some diecast car hulls in acetone to strip paint for a gaslabds project, and prime both the crew model that came from Rad and the largest bit of resin stowage.

Next came the same rust process for exposed metal on the road wheels. Took a bit of time then to rebuild the turret/upper hull assembly, widen the pintel mount for the turreted 50 cal, and attach the aftermarket pistol port, which works a treat.

Final task for the day was using the mud effect for the interior areas of the road wheels. No mud for the metal tracks: this would potentially gum up the works and I think we can safely ignore it for our purposes.

Photos depict portions of the process, and the results. No chance to get a shot of the pistol port: will get to that tomorrow.

(Attaching pics when I return home. Forgot to post this as a draft.)
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

And here are the photos from the last two days of work.

I've shown some of the metal components I acquired. For the most part, I'm pleased. However, the metal used for the .50 is a bit iffy, and the small bit seen in the photos broke off almost immediately. I'm going to attempt a transplant of the identical piece provided on the plastic Heng Long sprue. That will probably be part of the next day of work: I hope that will be tomorrow.

For the most part, the parts were clean of any flash, though there was a small quantity on the outside edge of the magazine. I was able to take care of that with a pair of sprue cutters. For the most part, nothing complex in prep. Had to be washed in the sonic cleaner to get rid of any excess oil/dirt.

Here, you'll see the standard mount for the pintel, which needed to be widened to accomodate the larger pintel of the metal MG.

Finally here are images of my progress with the tracks and roadwheels.

You might ask why I didn't fully prime the Tracks or Wheels with a pigmented primer. In the first place, because the right sort of sealer works just as well, but also because I wanted to preserve the natural metal color and, quite frankly, wasn't entirely sure that a coat of of thicker primer would be mechanically wise with the treads. Either way, I'm very pleased with progress so far.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have been lucky so far not to have broken off the carrying handle on any of various plastic and metal (using term loosely) .50 cals. My first try would be to repair the metal with E6000 glue. If the plastic replacement does not work, you might try re-creating the handle with brass wire and small brass or plastic tubing. Ain't we got fun? As to tracks, I prime and paint them, and then scrape the tracks on a sanding block or even on the concrete floor to bare the metal (aging, using term loosely) on the treads that would be cleaned off by contact with a hard surface.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:21 pm My first try would be to repair the metal with E6000 glue.
I took your suggestion with the shoe goo glue for mounting my hull MG. Stuff worked a charm. I saw this E6000 stuff on my last visit to Hobby Lobby. What's it's story/benefit over a good CA for his application?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Thanks for the update Mithras I love pics.

But now I have an insatiable desire for Wings... :crazy:
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Well, of all the parts to break off, that's the most fabricatable part. Lucky!

Return to “Group Builds”