761st Tank Battalion M4A3 in the Ardennes

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Mithras
Corporal

Re: 761st Tank Battalion M4A3 in the Ardennes

Post by Mithras »

Mithras wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:04 am Winter coat on the tank today, followed by panel lining. Waiting for it to dry properly. We've had an unseasonable amount of moisture and outright rain in California (as some might know from US news making it much more disastrous than it actually is), and while things are drying, they are taking much longer than I'd like. Should have some photos of what we've got so far, soon. After that, next step will be to re-install the pistol port, reassemble the tank, and begin adding stowage. I'm still debating whether other portions of the track assembly will be painted, and if so, that'll likely mean more painting before reassembly, though of course I'll document here. The whitewash is really turning out well, so far, and I'm satisfied with the way it matches references. (Boudicca seems to dig it.) Lots of experience painting Finnish and East German winter camouflage has taught me a few tricks, though it'll probably pale in comparison to what's been done by others here.

Stowage is moving along, albeit slowly. The main section for the engine deck/fuel rack is covered by a large white canvas tarp, and so I've been moving slowly to keep it clean. The rest is in progress, too. Not sure how much I'll attach. I'd like to get it assembled and then move from there. Metal tools will at minimum almost certainly be attached. As per recommendations here, I'm doing them in the same base color as the tank, though I don't think I'll be winter camouflaging them. We can assume they're being used often enough that a bit of whitewash, even if it i was applied, is going to last about fifteen seconds.

Sergeant Brotherton is coming along well. Happy with the color of his coat. Dropped him today and his head fell off...;) But it was a very clean break and will reattach quite easily. Which is a sign of how well Herr Schuart printed and the quality of the resin. No shattering like glass here.

Edit: Oh... nearly forgot. Coming closer to finishing up the metal .50, too. I did a gunmetal primer and then black for the main body; mag will of course be OD green; maybe a lighter color just to make it pop a bit.

-M.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

That's looking great. I'd love to do a Sherman, counter all the German armour I've done
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

cmryanuk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 pm That's looking great. I'd love to do a Sherman, counter all the German armour I've done

Nahhh ya wouldn’t!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

No Sherman!? Everybody need a Sherman (or five if a Tiger I is around). Bix, I'm going to fire a BB soaked in hot sauce all the way down under.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Mithras that's coming along swimmingly.
cmryanuk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 pm I'd love to do a Sherman, counter all the German armour I've done
utter foolishness. :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 pm No Sherman!? Everybody need a Sherman (or five if a Tiger I is around).
I'm working on 5 Tigers for all the Sherman's that are already around... :D
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

When it comes to Shermans--
Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated.

Mike.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

cmryanuk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 pm That's looking great. I'd love to do a Sherman, counter all the German armour I've done
Thanks very much!
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Wow, such a divisive topic! Are we going to have to split the forum into Shermy-lovers and Shermy-haters? :haha:
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

cmryanuk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:23 am Wow, such a divisive topic! Are we going to have to split the forum into Shermy-lovers and Shermy-haters? :haha:
Oh I'm definitely not a hater. Just no love. So I guess I'm Sherman Neutral.

But as Coleman said, invariably one will find it's way into my stable at one point or another. Just not today as I just snagged another Tiger on a deal I couldn't pass up. :D
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

I get you MrChef. I've also been offered a Tamiya Tiger 1 with full RC kit for a too good to refuse price. Heigh-ho here comes another one!

Return to “Group Builds”