Alright, so I have a static model ship, what do I need to make her move?

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Mithras
Corporal

Alright, so I have a static model ship, what do I need to make her move?

Post by Mithras »

Seemed like a good board to post this in, so here I go. I realize this isn’t a tank, but I’m fairly certain many of the same principles will apply.

I have identified at least two models that float and can be converted for RC use. One of them even has a shaft for the main prop built in for that purpose.

What do I need to run them? Which electronics? What sort of engine setup? may seem very silly, but I have literally never built a system like this before.

Thanks very much for your time.

-M.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Alright, so I have a static model ship, what do I need to make her move?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Mithras wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:33 pm Seemed like a good board to post this in, so here I go. I realize this isn’t a tank, but I’m fairly certain many of the same principles will apply.
As this is mostly a TANK forum, we should leave the electronics section for the type of electronics it was intended for.

I'll move this to RC boats, soon to be renamed, RC Boats / Ships
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Fair enough. I assumed RC electronics would be RC electronics.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

They make waterproof ESCs and motors with water jackets to keep them cool for boats. There really isn't much difference between an RC boat and an RC tank. They use some kind of sealant on the shafts to keep them from leaking, but I think some water still gets in to the hull which is why they still seal up the electronics on most RC boats.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

This is a copy paste from your other thread that seems to be the same question:

"In the old days there were surface (water and land) and airplane versions of radio systems. These days with the 2.4 gig stuff I am unsure if the surface/air thing still applies.

I mentioned in one of your other threads That I purchased a Flysky FS-GT5 wheel type (pistol grip) controller and RX. As I recall it was less than $60 US with one RX. An additional RX was around $14. I am currently using it for my two ducks. The nice thing is it will control 20 models (each model is programed and saved and can be named, you simply select the model you wish to control). The trims, servo reversing, servo ratio and other things are set for each model and saved. The next model (car, truck, ship) can get it's own unique set up.

With this you'd need a servo (rudder) and a ESC (electronic speed controller). The four I bought (two for each DUKW) were water proof and about $25 ea. Then a battery and motor for the prop. Dumas hardware has always been popular with the boat crowd. I simply bought a propeller shaft kit and also a rudder kit from Amazon around $10 ea.

For lights, turrets and whatever else you might want just add additional servos or light controller.
This system is a six channel."
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

I may be able to help. I used to be involved in RC boat racing.

Good news is that to do not need anything exotic just to make her move. A simple ground/surface two channel radio will work.

Let me know what boats you have in mind and maybe I can help.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Need more details, how long, heavy? Planing hull, displacement hull, etc etc. Original question is a wee bit vague. Also a link to the boat would be great. There are some.statix boats that float but are unsuitable to RC.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Mithras wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:12 am Fair enough. I assumed RC electronics would be RC electronics.
‘Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups’

Name the film! :)
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Hmmmmm...one of the Under Siege movies. Maybe the original or #2, or #8?!

Mike.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Ecam wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 am This is a copy paste from your other thread that seems to be the same question:

"In the old days there were surface (water and land) and airplane versions of radio systems. These days with the 2.4 gig stuff I am unsure if the surface/air thing still applies.

I mentioned in one of your other threads That I purchased a Flysky FS-GT5 wheel type (pistol grip) controller and RX. As I recall it was less than $60 US with one RX. An additional RX was around $14. I am currently using it for my two ducks. The nice thing is it will control 20 models (each model is programed and saved and can be named, you simply select the model you wish to control). The trims, servo reversing, servo ratio and other things are set for each model and saved. The next model (car, truck, ship) can get it's own unique set up.

With this you'd need a servo (rudder) and a ESC (electronic speed controller). The four I bought (two for each DUKW) were water proof and about $25 ea. Then a battery and motor for the prop. Dumas hardware has always been popular with the boat crowd. I simply bought a propeller shaft kit and also a rudder kit from Amazon around $10 ea.

For lights, turrets and whatever else you might want just add additional servos or light controller.
This system is a six channel."

I apologize. Apparently I missed this response or, in caring for my sick puppy, forgot it. Thanks again.

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”