NEWB - help with Heng Long 1/24 tank treads

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
joelspangler
Recruit

NEWB - help with Heng Long 1/24 tank treads

Post by joelspangler »

Complete tank newb here. I purchased three Heng Long tanks for myself and two boys this Christmas (the Japanese type 90, German Leopard 2A5, and USA M1A2 Abrams). All 3 suffer from tank tread problems, where the treads get stuck keeping me from being able to turn consistently. Sometimes the whole tread even just falls off. I can't seem to drive more than 10 feet before having issues. I see for some of the larger tanks there are adjustments to tighten up the treads, but I'm not seeing any way to do that on these. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make these better?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: NEWB - help with Heng Long 1/24 tank treads

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello joelspangler! I wish I could help, but I am rather unfamiliar with the 1/24 tanks, except that I think they are quite nice. (I gave two to a 1/77, 1/72, 1/35, and 1/24 and more expert here on RCTW, so I am hoping he will jump in here and help out.)
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

joelspangler wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:03 pm Complete tank newb here. I purchased three Heng Long tanks for myself and two boys this Christmas (the Japanese type 90, German Leopard 2A5, and USA M1A2 Abrams). All 3 suffer from tank tread problems, where the treads get stuck keeping me from being able to turn consistently. Sometimes the whole tread even just falls off. I can't seem to drive more than 10 feet before having issues. I see for some of the larger tanks there are adjustments to tighten up the treads, but I'm not seeing any way to do that on these. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make these better?
Greetings joelspangler, And welcome to RCTWF, Yes, that is why these HL 1/24 Tanks are not all that popular. They need a few mods to iron out the bugs in the tracks.

First off you do not want the tracks tighter as they WILL break. I have a mod for tightening them up a bit due to stretch around the pins area.
What surface are you running them on? These do not do well in hi traction situations like running on carpet. Short Indoor outdoor carpet maybe. Best to run on a smooth hard surface until you get the tracks sorted out.

The gear box which is excellent has a L\R spring loaded tracking sprag which helps keep the tank tracking strait when moving forward or reverse but puts a big load on the tracks especially when running on a hitraction surface. I believe the spring tension in this "sprag" is a bit too hi. This spring sprag works like a Slip Differential between the tracks. more info here
viewtopic.php?t=34148
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

joelspangler: now you have met the 1/77, 1/72, 1/35, and 1/24 and more expert--or one of them at least. Is there any chance of photos? I have not seen good photos of any of the three you have, so even that would be fun for me.
joelspangler
Recruit

Post by joelspangler »

I can't pretend that I can take better pictures than the promotional pictures by the vendor, so here are some links to MotionRC where I purchased mine. I'll eventually take a picture or two of my own and post here when I do, but these will have to do for now.
Japanese type 90 - https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3808-001
USA M1a2 - https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3816-001
German Leopard 2a5 https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3809-001

We've been running our new tanks indoors, which for me is mostly carpeted. It does work a little better in the one room where I have linoleum, but honestly, I'm quite disappointed in not being able to use these on carpet. I haven't tried outdoors much as it's cold and rainy here in Pennsylvania. We shot airsoft off of our covered porch, but didn't try them in the grass or on our gravel driveway.

The gear box spring tension is a bit over my head - is there a way to adjust it? The other thread talked about disabling the slip dif, but said that isn't for beginners, which myself and my two sons (14 and 11) would definitely qualify as.

For "high traction" surfaces such as carpet, would adding something like slippery tape over the rubber treads help, so the treads themselves are the slippery surface, instead of needing to go to the only non-carpeted room in my house (which isn't a very good spot to play).
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank for the links. I would hesitate about any kind of tape. I would be concerned that the tape might come off and jam up under the upper hull, potentially harming the gearing.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

joelspangler wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:39 am I can't pretend that I can take better pictures than the promotional pictures by the vendor, so here are some links to MotionRC where I purchased mine. I'll eventually take a picture or two of my own and post here when I do, but these will have to do for now.
Japanese type 90 - https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3808-001
USA M1a2 - https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3816-001
German Leopard 2a5 https://www.motionrc.com/products/heng- ... lg3809-001

We've been running our new tanks indoors, which for me is mostly carpeted. It does work a little better in the one room where I have linoleum, but honestly, I'm quite disappointed in not being able to use these on carpet. I haven't tried outdoors much as it's cold and rainy here in Pennsylvania. We shot airsoft off of our covered porch, but didn't try them in the grass or on our gravel driveway.

The gear box spring tension is a bit over my head - is there a way to adjust it? The other thread talked about disabling the slip dif, but said that isn't for beginners, which myself and my two sons (14 and 11) would definitely qualify as.

For "high traction" surfaces such as carpet, would adding something like slippery tape over the rubber treads help, so the treads themselves are the slippery surface, instead of needing to go to the only non-carpeted room in my house (which isn't a very good spot to play).
That might work. The gearbox in these Tanks is quite robust and has a "Slip gear" for each motor so no worries about that. I have all three of these tanks and they are the best you can get for the money. I see they are ~$80 which is less than I paid for mine. I broke the track on one of mine running it hard on a high traction surface. I fixed the track with 2 staples. I modified the staple for less width and pushed it through the broken track right where the metal pin goes through. They tend to stretch and finally break there. You might want to buy some extra tracks. I have seen them on ebay. Some of these tracks are better than others. The older ones seem to be better. If you had some extra tracks, you could experiment with adding "pads" of some material like heavy tape or polymer. They problem is attaching the material to the rubber track.

It's a hobby keeping these things running :haha: People here @ RCTW solve problems like this with all the time or get better parts :think: . This is a "beginners Hobby grade" Tank and can be modified for better operation. Being a "IR Battle Tank", these tanks see severe service of operation and will need service from time to time.

Some people here might say "get 1/16 with metal ITL tracks and metal gearbox etc, etc" and they would be right if you do not want these issues but then the money output is scaled UP to achieve that end of course ;)
Attachments
These are my "track repair" tools
These are my "track repair" tools
IMG_0599.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 29070 times
Here are my stash of 1/24 Tanks. There is a 1/16 at the far right.
Here are my stash of 1/24 Tanks. There is a 1/16 at the far right.
IMG_0598.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 29070 times
Track repair visible on this Leopard II.
Track repair visible on this Leopard II.
IMG_0597.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 29083 times
This track broke and you can see space between the connection point. If this mod is done before the track breaks, It probably will last longer. This tightens up the track as well as the connection point (metal pin) is where they stretch.  The repair staple inboard in this pic is preferable as it is a little wider. Make both look like that for best results. Requires patience and proper tools to do this. It may take a few tries to get it done. If you are good at this, then do double staples with the optimum width.
This track broke and you can see space between the connection point. If this mod is done before the track breaks, It probably will last longer. This tightens up the track as well as the connection point (metal pin) is where they stretch. The repair staple inboard in this pic is preferable as it is a little wider. Make both look like that for best results. Requires patience and proper tools to do this. It may take a few tries to get it done. If you are good at this, then do double staples with the optimum width.
IMG_0596.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 29083 times
the staple pins should go through those little round moldings in the track. Mine are a little short of the optimum width. After reviewing this picture I see the best spot now for the staple width. takes patience to bend the staple to the exact width. Perhaps a form could be made for this like at a factory. A press mold to configure the staple. Oh, just thinking out loud.
the staple pins should go through those little round moldings in the track. Mine are a little short of the optimum width. After reviewing this picture I see the best spot now for the staple width. takes patience to bend the staple to the exact width. Perhaps a form could be made for this like at a factory. A press mold to configure the staple. Oh, just thinking out loud.
IMG_0595.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 29083 times
The lower track has has had the mod done before it breaks. This also helps keeps the track tension where it needs to be as the track pin connection area stretches and is the weak spot on these tracks.
The lower track has has had the mod done before it breaks. This also helps keeps the track tension where it needs to be as the track pin connection area stretches and is the weak spot on these tracks.
IMG_0594.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 29083 times
This was a rush job as I did not think it would work for long but it has! Next time I will take more time and do it right.
This was a rush job as I did not think it would work for long but it has! Next time I will take more time and do it right.
IMG_0593.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 29083 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

joelspangler
Recruit

Post by joelspangler »

Thanks guys. I'll probably attempt adding something less grippy to the treads to see how that works.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

joelspangler wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:58 pm Thanks guys. I'll probably attempt adding something less grippy to the treads to see how that works.
That would work if you can find a way to attach "it" to the Tracks. I have the same problem with my 1/24 HL Tanks but used a different solution. I made up a current limit diode adapter that limits the power to the tracks through a voltage drop through the "Schottky diodes". This plug in mod makes the Tank more scale like with respect to Track speed and power.
Attachments
HL motor power tuning kit
HL motor power tuning kit
IMG_0640.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 29024 times
These are the diodes I used for this mod. All connectors changed to JST ~18 AWD. Lipo battery connector also changed to JST.
These are the diodes I used for this mod. All connectors changed to JST ~18 AWD. Lipo battery connector also changed to JST.
IMG_0631.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 29028 times
1 diode voltage drop. Anode goes to source + (Lipo RED), Cathode goes to load side -Black.
1 diode voltage drop. Anode goes to source + (Lipo RED), Cathode goes to load side -Black.
IMG_0635.jpg (906.65 KiB) Viewed 29028 times
2 diode voltage drop from supply source showing diode polarity with respect to Black - Red + wires.
2 diode voltage drop from supply source showing diode polarity with respect to Black - Red + wires.
IMG_0636.jpg (1004.58 KiB) Viewed 29028 times
connecting 1 diode with 2 diodes make 3 diode voltage drop.
connecting 1 diode with 2 diodes make 3 diode voltage drop.
IMG_0637.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 29028 times
Connecting two diode pairs = 4 diodes in series voltage drop.
Connecting two diode pairs = 4 diodes in series voltage drop.
IMG_0638.jpg (883.85 KiB) Viewed 29028 times
4 diodes with a 2 diode bypass switch. What is that switch for right?  It is for finding the optimal number of diodes (voltage drop) in a particular application.
4 diodes with a 2 diode bypass switch. What is that switch for right? It is for finding the optimal number of diodes (voltage drop) in a particular application.
IMG_0639.jpg (986.07 KiB) Viewed 29028 times
Last edited by modler on Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”