1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:49 pm Louis, I hope it's not too late to wish you a pleasant trip. I noticed your comment that you threw away...the RX-18 stuff...and will have to get a couple more TK 7.1 for plug and play." I hope you will be able to present a lesson when you "plug" in the TK 7.1. I have a few older HengLong tanks that might benefit from such a change-over, especially my insulting-award-winning Tauchpanzer. (viewtopic.php?p=347727&hilit=Tauchpanzer#p347727) and (viewtopic.php?p=347832&hilit=Tauchpanzer#p347832). Maybe you could do, please, a "Putting in a TK 7.1 for Idiots" post.
Thank you Doc.
I have a lot of RC tanks, they were built over decades with specific boards coming with them or that were fashionable at the time. When i started scratch building tanks one after another, i could not afford buying specific control boards for each. So, each tank is pre-wired for a specific board and when i want to run a tank, i just move the required board from one tank to another. So, I need things to be plug and play and easily reconfigured if needed. For my own need, the TK 7.1 is the easiest board to plug and play. All the functions have their own port with a standard connector, and any reconfiguration, such as inverting the recoil servo, is done with buttons on the emitter or the board. No more TV remote or PC app, no more single 8 pin connector with 6 LEDs pilling up on the negative wire... And it has a good solid protective box to move it around. Yes, the sound options are limited, but with an army of tanks, there would never be enough sound options to match the tanks or AFV i have.

So, instead of always buying or creating new tanks, i think i have a whole set of existing tanks that need modernization, standardization, and a refreshing of the paint job. Skills improved with time too.

Regards, Louis
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Louis, I have noticed from photos and discussion here on RCTW that the Tk 7.1 seems to use motor connectors different from the JST 2-pin type. Did you find that switching the 7.1 to an older HengLong tank is nonetheless a simple swap-out?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

jarndice wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:18 am When I see all the great detail I was surprised you did not take advantage of the free space in the Heng Longs turret box after modding the main gun,
I think I would have sawn off the turret box and lowered it as your Trumpeter turret box is.
I am afraid I have been spoiled by Taigens reengineered PZ4 turret but in truth I fear I am being picky when overall it is a magnificent job of work. :thumbup: :clap:
Honestly, after building the Heller Panzer III which is perfect all around, i suddenly found little purpose in doing local improvements to the HL tanks like i used to do. Instead of spending too much time improving the HL to make it a little bit more beautiful, or add expensive upgrades, i will just keep the chassis and buy another Trumpeter kit to put on top... That's the new reality that i see.

In the case of the HL Panzer III that i modernized on this build, i had a desire to have a light Panzer III to drive around in the dirt and snow. I won't use my latest beauty queens for that.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:45 am Louis, I have noticed from photos and discussion here on RCTW that the Tk 7.1 seems to use motor connectors different from the JST 2-pin type. Did you find that switching the 7.1 to an older HengLong tank is nonetheless a simple swap-out?
Yeah, i had to replace the connectors on the Taigen gearbox motors to match the TK 7.1, but it's fast. I also ended up having to buy a lot of connectors for the rest of the electronics, and specially for the LEDs. Need a lot of them.

Some of my purchases on eBay last month.
1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build
Screenshot 2024-01-12 201456.png (586.52 KiB) Viewed 82760 times
Screenshot 2024-01-12 201422.png (308.31 KiB) Viewed 82760 times
Screenshot 2024-01-12 201301.png (648.89 KiB) Viewed 82760 times
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

If I’m not too late, I too would like to wish you a safe trip. I would also like to THANK YOUfor giving me inspiration and encouraging my self to try new methods. I now have no need to but expensive recoil mechanisms when I can just make one out of the BB unit.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:38 am If I’m not too late, I too would like to wish you a safe trip. I would also like to THANK YOUfor giving me inspiration and encouraging my self to try new methods. I now have no need to but expensive recoil mechanisms when I can just make one out of the BB unit.
Thanks, the internet follows me everyone.

Here is a couple more pics on the recoil unit. I improve my design with every build. This time, I decided to leave the plastic bracket on the slider and connect the recoil push rod to it. Those little metal swivelling push rod connectors are excellent, cheap on eBay. It’s solid enough. I gave an angle to the servo to optimize the recoil. I tried and tested a couple of locations for the elevation mount point until I found the best one.
Recoil
Recoil
IMG_8966.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 81972 times
Recoil
Recoil
IMG_8969.jpeg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 81972 times
Recoil
Recoil
IMG_8975.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 81972 times
Recoil
Recoil
IMG_8981.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 81972 times
Recoil
Recoil
IMG_8983.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 81972 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you for the information on the connector availability. I am sorry I couldn't get back sooner, but the 14" snowstorm followed by good ol' winter sub-zero Fahrenheit kept me busy. It's "country livin' " fun.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

My son tells me we got a foot of snow since I left. I’m currently on the French side of Saint Martin island, as far away possible from the cruise ship docks of the Dutch Sint Marteen side. Beautiful, warm and quiet place in January, I can stay here for two weeks for the same price as one week in Florida. I’ve found my winter retreat area. I got used to the rhythm of the place real fast.
Saint Martin
Saint Martin
IMG_9790.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 73812 times
Saint Martin
Saint Martin
IMG_9910.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 73812 times
Saint Martin
Saint Martin
IMG_9879.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 73812 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I've got a completely different view out side my window. Beautiful! Was there many years ago, and yes that would be the perfect winter home away from home. Enjoy!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Beautiful winter in Canada. And people complain about climate change ;D

Return to “Other Builds”