1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Bit different from the view over Hagenau !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ah ha! This explains why you are on the French side: "St. Martin's Dutch side is known for...drinks made with native rum-based guavaberry liquors...nude beaches."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Martin_(island)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

COLORADO!
Always 'Riding the Storm Out!' and Modeling Armor on the Side. I wouldn't know how to act some place quiet without howling Winds, sudden Blizzards or blazing Sunshine peeling my dermis off daily. (Not to mention Bears interrupting my Grilling Sessions) Enjoy, Louis! You have earned it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thanks everyone

Check out the very effective camo on these iguanas seen near Fort Amsterdam, Sint Maarten. There are 3 of them. I just noticed the third one while cropping the picture. These guys are 6 feet long.
Attachments
Iguanas camo
Iguanas camo
IMG_9966.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 548 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Dunkel Gelb and schwarz?

Hope you are having a great time.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Desert tan base camo

Desert Tan
Desert Tan
IMG_1173.jpeg (691.25 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Curious camouflage in Desert Tan: it sticks out for me. 8O
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hello,

I'm back and it's time to finish this model.

I usually paint the model and install the tools after. However, looking at the tool clamps, i decided to install them first.

Trumpeter provides working tool clamps in photo-etched brass. At first, the 3 part clamps seem easy to build.

1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build
1.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 358 times

It's not obvious how to create the curve to give the upper part the proper lenght so that it will lock correctly with the bottom part. The parts are so tiny, two pairs of glasses are not enough. And the folded lever that is supposed to keep the assembled clamp together has no lateral strength whatsoever. Chinese PE parts are also typically too thin. Although the kit is straitforward to build for any modeller, these clamps are clearly not for everyone.

2.JPG (890.37 KiB) Viewed 358 times

After 10 minutes of cursing, i managed to assemble one but it falls apart as soon as the picture is taken. The bending is also not perfect. After reassembling it 3 times, i give up. For a static model, it could potentially work out with extreme caution, but for an RC tank, there is no way these clamps will last more than a few minutes with some handling of the tank. Soaking the joints in superglue would not look good, anyway, i am done with them. Another solution is required.

3.JPG (449.77 KiB) Viewed 358 times

The Shapeways 3D printed tool clamps are certainly one of their best and most popular offerings. It compares well to the Trumpeter parts and are a bit more solid if you do not crush them. At least, they hold together and once glued to the tank and to the tool, they are quite solid and look good.

4.JPG (325.03 KiB) Viewed 358 times

The Trumpeter tools are very good.

5.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 358 times
6.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 358 times

The 8 part jack is the best i have seen.

7.JPG (649.25 KiB) Viewed 358 times

The two large Trumpeter clamps for the jack are very good but i am noticing on close ups that they need more cleanup.

8.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 358 times
9.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 358 times

All the tools are installed with Shapeways tool clamps. The tread plate underneath them needs to be flattened for a proper fix. Some positioning holes need to be enlarged too.

10.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 358 times

Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

11.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 355 times

The interior rims of the spare road wheels look weird. Not used to see such large thick rims on any vendor models of Panzer III road wheels before. The tires need a lot of work to remove the molding line. Anyone building the model with the complete set of the kit roadwheels will certainly suffer.

12.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 355 times

The tires are kept removable until painting is finished.

13.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 355 times

All the tools are in place, looking good.

14.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 355 times

Spare tracks holders are installed.

15.JPG (983.01 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Impact did not provide enough metal spare tracks. I therefore have to use the kit's plastic tracks. They are well moulded and each track link comes in 3 parts with the plastic track pin. As the pin is quite thin, i doubt the tracks would last much if used for anything else than the spares. Would need replacement with metal pins.

16.JPG (817.65 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Installing the center guide part was difficult. It somehow does not position itself naturally well. Thankfully, i just need a few.

17.JPG (897.23 KiB) Viewed 355 times

I am noticing quite a difference in size between the Trumpeter and the Impact center guide pins. There is nothing i can do about that. I feel that the Trumpeter guide pins are probably too big, and the Impact guide pins are probably too narrow... Somehow, both do not look right but i am no Panzer III track expert.

18.JPG (786.42 KiB) Viewed 355 times
19.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 355 times

The model as it stands today.

20.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 355 times

Regards, Louis
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Looking good, great detail, very inspiring, I’ve also found the photo etch tool clamps very fiddly & difficult to assemble.

Return to “Other Builds”