Christmas dinner...

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Re: Christmas dinner...

Post by Meter rat »

Wasn’t it Orson Wells, who said “Try everything in life once, except incest and Morris dancing”?

We’re on bread and water for Christmas Dinner. Electric has gone off.

Have a good Christmas everyone. What ever you’re eating..
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:26 pm Wasn’t it Orson Wells, who said “Try everything in life once, except incest and Morris dancing”?

I quite agree with Mr Wells.

Oh crap, seriously, that really is crap if you've lost your electric. Sorry to hear that.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:31 pm
Meter rat wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:26 pm Wasn’t it Orson Wells, who said “Try everything in life once, except incest and Morris dancing”?

I quite agree with Mr Wells.

Oh crap, seriously, that really is crap if you've lost your electric. Sorry to hear that.

I’m quite happy. I have wine, I’m in the utility room, I get to use my wood range for the first time, out of everyones road. It’s quite funny watching the in-laws from England panicking, and saying useful things like. “This wouldn’t have happened where we live. We should have gone to the other daughters where it is civilised “.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

LOL, sounds like the in-laws have no sense of adventure.
From England you say, gosh, whatever happened to that old time English spirit of making the most out of a bad situation?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

They think we are backwards in Scotland. However they forget that we are a resourceful breed, and pre empted the occasional loss of power.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:14 pm They think we are backwards in Scotland. However they forget that we are a resourceful breed, and pre empted the occasional loss of power.

It's nae so bad up here in Wester Ross: central heating is provided by a dram, and light- by the Moon. In fact, power cuts are fairly rare, even when the wind blows the washing all the way to Inverness. :O
8O Having hydro-electricity is a boon. Having some of the most wonderful land and seascapes in the World, priceless! When all else fails, I have a camping gas stove oot in my 'man cave', as well as candles, and fully charged LED lamps. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

After having the normal turkey roast for Xmas dinner.

This was the Christmas desert :D

Sponge flan base, halved apricots, sliced peaches and mandarin segments, covered with greens quick gel, flavoured with the mixed fruit juice of all three fruits. Served with thick double cream :D
Attachments
20231225_215952.jpg
20231225_215952.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2653 times

Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Wasn’t so bad. Power was off for about an hour. We managed as we have a wood range. However by the time I had lit it the power was back on. Still managed to provide home made chicken and veg soup, Turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas pudding and cheese and biscuits. Agree about warming up with dram. The view of the Arrochar Alps and the sea is priceless. Entertainment is in the form of watching the red squirrels and other wildlife. We have the candles, and camping stove. The in laws think that because they live in the city they don’t need these things, and were surprised when we had them. I was in the scouts so was prepared. The funniest thing though was listening to them moaning because they couldn’t watch football, because we don’t have any sports channels.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

My in-laws are currently living in my house as there was a storm that cut power to 150 thousand people on the Gold Coast and Brisbane.
Kids school is devastated and so many homes have lost roofs & had cars cleaned up by trees.
Our place had some outdoor furniture blown about and our bin thrown down the street.
All around us is a scene out of a tornado movie & we are ok.
Me & the family are in New Zealand for a week and missed the action.
We have 4 families that need to stay at our place due to no power and it’s HOT there now to run salt into the wound.
The in-laws will be sharing our house with 5 strangers including kids, sleeping in all our beds, watching sport on pay tv , hiding in the AC and accessing my booze stock……….

And I’m in a country I’ve not seen in a decade, seen my mum for the first time in 10 years, feeling like I should go home to help.
I guess by luck that our place missed the storm front and power outages that we are lucky.
Neighbours all around are without power. We, and as importantly, my tanks, dodged it .
Strange how that happens.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:58 am My in-laws are currently living in my house as there was a storm that cut power to 150 thousand people on the Gold Coast and Brisbane.
Kids school is devastated and so many homes have lost roofs & had cars cleaned up by trees.
Our place had some outdoor furniture blown about and our bin thrown down the street.
All around us is a scene out of a tornado movie & we are ok.
Me & the family are in New Zealand for a week and missed the action.
We have 4 families that need to stay at our place due to no power and it’s HOT there now to run salt into the wound.
The in-laws will be sharing our house with 5 strangers including kids, sleeping in all our beds, watching sport on pay tv , hiding in the AC and accessing my booze stock……….

And I’m in a country I’ve not seen in a decade, seen my mum for the first time in 10 years, feeling like I should go home to help.
I guess by luck that our place missed the storm front and power outages that we are lucky.
Neighbours all around are without power. We, and as importantly, my tanks, dodged it .
Strange how that happens.
I guess I have nothing to complain about. I hope everyone is safe. Although we are currently storm bound. With the only road in closed, and the ferries off. They may have to stay with us a bit longer.

Return to “Off topic”