1/72 Tiger 1 $20 RRC 5 channel ToyGrade with minor improvements

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/72 Tiger 1 $20 RRC 5 channel ToyGrade with minor improvements

Post by modler »

These 1/72 Tanks are available on ebay for around $20. They are very good RC Tank models for this price. I suggest you get one for posterity if nothing else. In this thread I will show the simple mods done to mine that make it close to Hobby Grade.

These Tanks are like hot rods and are way too fast in stock form, but with a little work look like a HG tank in operation with realistik speed of the tracks and turret.

This mod involves adding 3 small 1/8 watt resistors.

Item description:
5 channel control. Not bad for a $20 Toy ;)
PB 2 speeds F\R. PB L\R zero turn with 2 speeds. PB Turret L\R. PB L\R tracking adjustment. PB Sound on\off. Standby mode after time out. Start from standby any button push. 5 sounds available. PB show mode.
1s Lipo for power. Long run time.

Plastic ITL tracks. Never were out or dry out that are sprocket gear driven. takes very little power to run these tracks.
Coreless motors @ 8 ohms for use with 1 cell lipo. Comes with 65 mAh Lipo with charging jack. Transmitter has charge cord.
Attachments
I would get a couple. These are fun to play with.
I would get a couple. These are fun to play with.
IMG_0537.JPG (1006.99 KiB) Viewed 58331 times
Remove one small screw at the bottom and you're in.<br />I added 1.25 mm micro JST connectors so that the motors can be changed and the circuit board can be removed and used in something else. I do this on all my models making everything interchangeable
Remove one small screw at the bottom and you're in.
I added 1.25 mm micro JST connectors so that the motors can be changed and the circuit board can be removed and used in something else. I do this on all my models making everything interchangeable
IMG_0503.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 58337 times
Added 4.7 ohm resistors here to slow the Tank down just a bit.
Added 4.7 ohm resistors here to slow the Tank down just a bit.
IMG_0504.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 58337 times
These are very small 1/8 watt Resistors
These are very small 1/8 watt Resistors
IMG_0495.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 58337 times
I added a 150 ohm 1/8 watt resistor in series with the supply voltage to the turret 8 ohm coreless motor. Also male micro JST connector added. Heat Shrink clear tape allows HI dielectric strength insulation of the added resistor and connector(s).
I added a 150 ohm 1/8 watt resistor in series with the supply voltage to the turret 8 ohm coreless motor. Also male micro JST connector added. Heat Shrink clear tape allows HI dielectric strength insulation of the added resistor and connector(s).
IMG_0502.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 58337 times
1 cell 65 mAh lipo under charge with one of my HG chargers @ 200mAh rate So it's a fast charge. The Transmitter has its own charger that works very good but uses power from the Tx power supply 4 AA cells.
1 cell 65 mAh lipo under charge with one of my HG chargers @ 200mAh rate So it's a fast charge. The Transmitter has its own charger that works very good but uses power from the Tx power supply 4 AA cells.
IMG_0508.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 58337 times
1/72 scale RRC Tiger Tank in the middle. 1/35 RRC IR Tiger on the right. 1/77 Leopard RRC on the left.
1/72 scale RRC Tiger Tank in the middle. 1/35 RRC IR Tiger on the right. 1/77 Leopard RRC on the left.
IMG_0507.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 58349 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/72 Tiger 1 $20 RRC 5 channel ToyGrade with minor improvements

Post by modler »

I just got a new one of these 1/72 scales Tigers. The newest on is 2.4G! No external antenna. The Turret on this one will go 360 round and round.

So if you plan on getting one make sure it is the latest version @ 2.4G. The new version has some improvements besides 2.4G, the Turret moves slower and more scale like so no mod needed there also the Turret will go 360 as there is no external antenna to stop it. The low speed function is lower than before and improved.

ebay link here.

from this seller
Egrandmart (158549)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284132822784

Note: This 1:72 Tiger Tank has individual Track link type tracks that will not deteriorate like old school Rubber tracks. They also can slip allowing longer battery run times. I would say they are for indoor use at this point as I have not tried them off road outside.

I have been experimenting with a Hobby grade radio in this Tank. Also I am thinking of doing a IR battle Tank mod to this chassis. The Turret drive system works very good.
Attachments
No external antenna on the TX as well.
No external antenna on the TX as well.
IMG_0709.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 57456 times
2.4G version has no external antenna.
2.4G version has no external antenna.
IMG_0708.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 57456 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok I found this interesting review video.Note this is the 27mHz version.... https://youtu.be/N4vy8ploAZA

There is a newer 2.4g version here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/284132822784

I just bought another of the 2.4G version. There are 5 left.

I will post a video of the 2.4G version here asap..
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I have one of these old style 1/72 Tigers (49mHz) and took it apart and added connectors so that the radio can be used in other models. Even though it is old style with antenna, it works very well and is very small. It also has 3 channels out along with sound with on\off control and is very easy to use in other models.
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg (850.61 KiB) Viewed 54598 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Amazing: you seem ever to be comfortable fiddling, fixing, and finding new applications for tiny electronics.
Grumpy.jpg
Grumpy.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 54189 times
No doubt experience helps, but my experience so far has been frustrating for two reasons: 1) most instructions I have encountered are badly written, disorganized, and/or inspecific. 2) Electronics offer no more response than an animal to a veterinarian. They can't hint as to what is wrong.
Doc.jpg
Doc.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 54189 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”