Need a reliable platform for conversion.

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Mithras
Corporal

Building a casemate over an existing kit.

Post by Mithras »

Not getting many answers elsewhere so I thought I would float the idea here (pun not intended.)

I am still on a search for a practicable RC Ironclad, and I had the thought that perhaps I could build such a vessel on an existing hull as was often done. This would involve building a casemate over the underlying structure. I imagine that it would have to be done with a relatively light material: plasticard, aluminum; I’d be highly suspicious of blue or pink foam for the purpose. Would try with a relatively simple, blocky example. Baltic, Fredericksburg, Choctaw, perhapa Keokuk if I feel I could handle the challenge.

Any thoughts? I’d sincerely appreciate them.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: Building a casemate over an existing kit.

Post by ColemanCollector »

Maybe try a cheap RC submarine so you start with a low waterline base and build up a Monitor-ish superstructure on top with plastic card and 3D turret? Or a Merrimac-ish upper for more build room?

Mike.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

ColemanCollector wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:09 pm Maybe try a cheap RC submarine so you start with a low waterline base and build up a Monitor-ish superstructure on top with plastic card and 3D turret? Or a Merrimac-ish upper for more build room?

Mike.
That could work. Monitors can be tricky, though maybe with one of the riverine monitors - higher freeboard and actual deck structure. The submarine bit might be concerning, though perhaps accurate as to seaworthiness for Monitor;)
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Many years ago I built a simple monitor using polystyrene from washing machine packing , and clad it in 3mm lite ply. That’s what we call it in the UK. I don’t know if it is the same in the US. I then used aircraft tissue, and dope to seal it. That could sail in all weather as it was unsinkable. It did need some weight to take it to the waterline.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

As this would be a casemate ironclad, it would likely not be as complex, lacking turrets. Great tips on sealing, thank you!
Mithras
Corporal

Need a reliable platform for conversion.

Post by Mithras »

So, moving ahead with my ironclad project, I need a reliable platform for conversion. A hull I can build on with relatively intuitive electronics. I'm hoping someone here might have a recommendation. Size isn't an absolute deal breaker. As size examples:

- USS Dragon, a Union Tugboat, would be about 1.5 Feet 1/56 Scale
- USS Keokuk, a Union Casemate Ironclad, would be about 2.8 Feet in 1/56 Scale
- CSS Manassas, the cigar-shaped semi-submersible ironclad, would be about 2.5 Feet in 1/56 scale
- The "Yazoo Monster" is a CS sidewheel ironclad, the largest ever built inland; she'd be about 5.16 Feet in 1/56 scale

By comparison, the two best known American ironclads...

- USS Monitor would be approximately 3.19 in 1/56 Scale
-CSS Virginia would be approximately 4.9 feet long in 1/56 Scale
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Need a reliable platform for conversion.

Post by sassgrunt »

The model Company Dumas used to make a 1/72 scale duo-kit of the USS Monitor ans CSS Virginia that were suitable for RC. They stopped making the kit several years ago, but you do see it pop up on ebay occasionally. (I always suspected that anyone who owns the kit wonders where they'd display it if they built it....so it sits around unbuilt until the decide to get rid of it). I've seen two sold for that reason. Link to see what it looks like: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dumas-1 ... a--1238598#
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

sassgrunt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:21 pm The model Company Dumas used to make a 1/72 scale duo-kit of the USS Monitor ans CSS Virginia that were suitable for RC. They stopped making the kit several years ago, but you do see it pop up on ebay occasionally. (I always suspected that anyone who owns the kit wonders where they'd display it if they built it....so it sits around unbuilt until the decide to get rid of it). I've seen two sold for that reason. Link to see what it looks like: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dumas-1 ... a--1238598#
I have no idea about that kit, but I have the lord nelson victory tug one, and I can say that I deeply regret getting it. Horrible quality, tremendously overpriced.

Just my experience :(
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

"The model Company Dumas used to make a 1/72 scale duo-kit of the USS Monitor ans CSS Virginia that were suitable for RC. They stopped making the kit several years ago, but you do see it pop up on ebay occasionally. (I always suspected that anyone who owns the kit wonders where they'd display it if they built it....so it sits around unbuilt until the decide to get rid of it). I've seen two sold for that reason. Link to see what it looks like: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dumas-1 ... a--1238598#"

Thank you for the link!

"I have no idea about that kit, but I have the lord nelson victory tug one, and I can say that I deeply regret getting it. Horrible quality, tremendously overpriced.

Just my experience :("

I've heard, and read, quite mixed opinions re: the Dumas ironclad kit. It would be nice to see the kit before paying the price it goes for! I read a brief blurb around Christmas that, to summarize, essentially said that one of them was quite beginner friendly, the other something of a nightmare. Can't recall which. I want to say it was the Monitor that was easy to work with, the Virginia not so much.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

ColemanCollector wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:09 pm Maybe try a cheap RC submarine so you start with a low waterline base and build up a Monitor-ish superstructure on top with plastic card and 3D turret? Or a Merrimac-ish upper for more build room?

Mike.
Cheap and RC submarine are not two words usually go together!

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”