heng long tk 7.0 shutting down after firing

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
StuartWillis
Recruit

heng long tk 7.0 shutting down after firing

Post by StuartWillis »

Hi All, My First post.
I have a Heng Long M1A2 Abrams tank that I have had for a couple of years.
The TK 6.0 MFU stopped working so I upgraded the MFU and Transmitter to 7.0.
The proplem I now have is when I fire the main Gun it fires and the tank recols as it used to but once fired the tank goes into stand by mode and I have to press the Start-up button to restart the tank.. Every thing else works as expected.

I checked the installation and all looks ok.

I have done a Google but cant find anything.
Any help would be welcome.

Stuart
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: heng long tk 7.0 shutting down after firing

Post by ColemanCollector »

When one of my HLs starts to act strangely, I always give the battery a charge, even if it's had next to no running time on the battery. It sounds too simple to work, but it often does and it's free and easy to eliminate the battery as a trouble source.
Mike.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Stuart your first post is to introduce yourself to the Forum NOT to ask questions.
Where are you from what got you interested in r/c tanks that kind of stuff ok?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
StuartWillis
Recruit

Post by StuartWillis »

jarndice wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:53 pm Stuart your first post is to introduce yourself to the Forum NOT to ask questions.
Where are you from what got you interested in r/c tanks that kind of stuff ok?
Introduction done sorry not having done it.
StuartWillis
Recruit

Post by StuartWillis »

ColemanCollector wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:51 pm When one of my HLs starts to act strangely, I always give the battery a charge, even if it's had next to no running time on the battery. It sounds too simple to work, but it often does and it's free and easy to eliminate the battery as a trouble source.
Mike.
Hi Mike,

It was the first thing I did when my old MFU packed up.
I have just recharge it but still get the same problem.

Stuart.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

A couple of questions,

One, are you sure that the cheap Chinese knock off Tamiya battery plug and socket copies are actually connecting together properly inside. Sometimes the pins/tubes push back inside, giving the illusion of a proper connection, when in fact they barely touch.
If that's not the problem. . .
Two, what battery is in the tank, and how old is it?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
StuartWillis
Recruit

Post by StuartWillis »

Hi Mick.

They are the Tamiya type but I have tighten up the pins etc and made sure there is a good connection. Never got round to changeing them for XT type.
The pack is a 3300 mah NiM it's about 6 months old.

I charge it with my Quad Pro. The charger I use for my RC aircraft RX and Lipo Flight packs so I know it is fully charged.

Stuart,
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

StuartWillis wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:43 pm Hi Mick.

They are the Tamiya type but I have tighten up the pins etc and made sure there is a good connection. Never got round to changeing them for XT type.
The pack is a 3300 mah NiM it's about 6 months old.

I charge it with my Quad Pro. The charger I use for my RC aircraft RX and Lipo Flight packs so I know it is fully charged.

Stuart,
Oh, well, that's eliminated the obvious and easiest solutions, dam and blast.
Tanks usually shut down like yours from a lack of juice from the battery :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

1) When such symptoms occur, my experience has always led me to change out the NiMH battery to a different one, whether before the change-out the battery was new or old, cheap "original equipment" or a battery bought separately, even once when it was a 5000 mAH one. I have found that the charger is sometimes fooled, indicating a full charge when 'tis not so. I check with a voltmeter. Nonetheless, the change-out to a different, freshly charged battery, has unfailingly worked for me, and then either one or two other steps follow:
a) I re-charge the apparently faulty battery and then it works fine.
b) A re-charge does no good, so the battery goes into the recycling bin.
2) A stock HengLong tank has a somewhat fake chassis jerk, a "recoil" imitation. Although I have not had this problem in over 50 (yikes!) tanks, the fake recoil shakes the tank and just could be loosening a connection somewhere, not necessarily the Tamiya battery-to-board connector. That just become a hunt for a loose connector of some sort.
StuartWillis
Recruit

Post by StuartWillis »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:32 pm 1) When such symptoms occur, my experience has always led me to change out the NiMH battery to a different one, whether before the change-out the battery was new or old, cheap "original equipment" or a battery bought separately, even once when it was a 5000 mAH one. I have found that the charger is sometimes fooled, indicating a full charge when 'tis not so. I check with a voltmeter. Nonetheless, the change-out to a different, freshly charged battery, has unfailingly worked for me, and then either one or two other steps follow:
a) I re-charge the apparently faulty battery and then it works fine.
b) A re-charge does no good, so the battery goes into the recycling bin.
2) A stock HengLong tank has a somewhat fake chassis jerk, a "recoil" imitation. Although I have not had this problem in over 50 (yikes!) tanks, the fake recoil shakes the tank and just could be loosening a connection somewhere, not necessarily the Tamiya battery-to-board connector. That just become a hunt for a loose connector of some sort.
Hi, I have tried 2 different Nimh and the original l-ion that came with the Tank but get the same result with all packs.
One thing I have noticed is that the barrel doesn't recoil either when fired but dose work when is use the S & K buttons on the TX to alter the mount of recoil.

I have checked all the plugs a number of times and all are seated properly.
The only plug that I cant install is the CN16 the IR 3 pin plug as it's a different size socket but I don't use IR so not a problem

I'm wondering if the new MFU is falty so have contacted the supplier to see what they say.

Stuart

Return to “Heng Long”