Hurtgenwald Germany 1944

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Hurtgenwald Germany 1944

Post by michaelwhittmann »

Today is the unofficial end of the Battle of the Hurtgenwald (Hurtgen Forest) between US and Germany forces in 1944.

Pretty bloody and the US gained nothing of value.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hurtgenwald Germany 1944

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

michaelwhittmann wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:39 pm Pretty bloody and the US gained nothing of value.
Hmmm, when the object is to either eliminate, or remove the threat from the other side, therefore halting the enemy forces from attacking/ambushing another allied force, depleting their numbers and ammunition without an adequate supply line, whilest also keeping them occupied. The U.S. forces gained the upper hand, allowed other forces to advance with less resistance.
There probably were better ways to go about it, but sadly, those in charge didn't see it that way, and the American GI's were deemed expendable.

Therefore they did gain a lot, by contributing to the bigger picture, even though they basically lost.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Maybe not a 'great' movie, but still worth watching if only to see how quickly a man can go from hero to casualty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4eo0GvgTw
The original book I read about this 'forgotten battle' was https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Hurtgen ... 0330420518

If you wondered what the reference to "Eddie Slovik" was in the Band of Brothers series, he explains the context around why that specific soldier was executed for desertion.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Son of a Gunner: If you aren't you should be a MP.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

SOG and I have not agreed on everything but insulting him in that manner is really not nice. :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

michaelwhittmann wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:30 am Son of a Gunner: If you aren't you should be a MP.
It's from all the times I played "Cannon Fodder" years ago, which made me interested in the way generals and higher ups view the lowly soldier. Which in turn explained the way they think, or rather, try to think.
General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmany Melchett explains their mindset well.

phpBB [video]

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Hilarious video, thx. General Santa Anna, during the Alamo battle, said "what are the lives of soldiers but so many chickens?" Not so hilarious.

And of course, I meant no offence w/ the MP comment.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

michaelwhittmann wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 pm Hilarious video, thx.
You're welcome.
michaelwhittmann wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 pmGeneral Santa Anna, during the Alamo battle, said "what are the lives of soldiers but so many chickens?" Not so hilarious.
Sadly, many in power have seen soldiers like nothing more than that.
michaelwhittmann wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 pmAnd of course, I meant no offence w/ the MP comment.
None taken, hence the jovial video, besides, I'm a moderator, we're quite thick skinned :thumbup:
Someone on the forum once stated that I was like the grit in the underpants of life. I now wear that comment like a trophy, and with pride within my signature ;)

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Duke of Wellington is famous for calling his soldiers "The Scum of the Earth". and of course there is "Cannon Fodder" and "PBI" (Poor Bloody Infantry).And not to forget the inter service name calling, Pongos, Brown Jobs etc.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”