1/35 scale M5A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/35 scale M5A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post by modler »

Ok finally got back to Scale conversion work. My latest work is on a M5A1 light Tank. This is a fairly small model and is challenging to say the least to convert it to radio remote control. This model has nice poly tracks and was once available with some type of motorized gearbox. I like these models for conversion because the tracks, sprockets, bogies, idler wheels etc were designed as a motorized model from the start.
Attachments
Model is going through test runs before final assembly
Model is going through test runs before final assembly
IMG_0310.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 4209 times
These are two MTM conversions in my collection, more on the way!
These are two MTM conversions in my collection, more on the way!
IMG_0305.jpg (729.32 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
This took me several hours to add these gearboxes but like anything, it gets easier after you do a few.
This took me several hours to add these gearboxes but like anything, it gets easier after you do a few.
IMG_0303.jpg (734.72 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
nice looking model and pretty small which makes it a candidate for MTM gearbox conversion. no other twin motor gearbox I have with fit this small chassis.
nice looking model and pretty small which makes it a candidate for MTM gearbox conversion. no other twin motor gearbox I have with fit this small chassis.
IMG_0301.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 4209 times
This one came from Japan and has excellent box art.
This one came from Japan and has excellent box art.
IMG_0309.jpg (665.14 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Last edited by modler on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mithras
Corporal

Re: 1/35 scale M3A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post by Mithras »

Looking fantastic, so far!
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes, as you know, Modler and others, many of the older Tamiya kits were designed from the get go as motorized, but the motorized equipment was deleted long ago. I wish I had known about them during all the years between teenage and oldage. I would have loved em.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:45 pm Yes, as you know, Modler and others, many of the older Tamiya kits were designed from the get go as motorized, but the motorized equipment was deleted long ago. I wish I had known about them during all the years between teenage and oldage. I would have loved em.
Oh they can still be found with (all metal gearbox) but at a much higher price of course. In the case of the model in this thread, MTM gearboxes can be installed with good result. I have bought several used models with the metal gearbox that had never been run so they were in VGC!

I have also bought several new ones still in shrink rap. They cost upwards of $200 but they are pretty unique and can last a long time. I have a Sherman M4E8 with metal gearbox originally a "motorized remote control" model that is 45 years old and still is in operation 8)

edit...but yeah I get what you are saying Herr Doctor about the "years between"
Last edited by modler on Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Mithras wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:25 pm Looking fantastic, so far!

Yes this is a very cool model with excellent tracks. To get the suspension lined up takes a bit of patience so that all the road wheels spin (mostly) when in operation. I had to cut 2 of them loose and realine also had to raise the rear idles wheels up just a bit. I will show that in the next pictures. It is now running very well and has very good track action. very smooth and takes very little power to run the tracks. if you look at the forth picture down from the top you can see road wheel issues. Still works good just looks bad visually when a road wheel is off the ground not touching the track and of course does not spin with no load when in operation.
Last edited by modler on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Here is a local M4A1.
Attachments
rear view
rear view
IMG_5800.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 4106 times
Up for sale @ Sam Winers Akron Ohio
Up for sale @ Sam Winers Akron Ohio
IMG_5802.JPG (2.94 MiB) Viewed 4106 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

That Stuart looks frail in 1:1, no wonder it's a hard R/C conversion (reliably). Do you think the chain on the front sprocket is a anti theft device? Even have an M32B1 in the background!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ecam wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:22 pm That Stuart looks frail in 1:1, no wonder it's a hard R/C conversion (reliably). Do you think the chain on the front sprocket is a anti theft device? Even have an M32B1 in the background!
Yes and or to prevent someone moving\dragging it forward into the busy street as a prank ;)

Well the M4A1 "Stuart" may look frail in the picture above but up close looks quite sturdy. I think these things are known as sports cars of the Tank world with the twin V8 Cadillac motors.

I wondered what that other Tank is... M32B1 eh? I will post a better picture of that one...as you can see, it is chained as well.
Attachments
M32B1
M32B1
IMG_5806.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4099 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I'm currently building a version of the M32 in the Group builds section.

When I was younger my brother had a bunch of comics titled "Ghost Tank" (as I recall). About the Stuart and crew with the ghost of General Stuart along for the adventures. They had a Stuart in Garden City Kansas when I was younger and the hatches were not welded closed. One of the few tanks I was actually in. Tank has been long since removed from the city park...
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”