1/24 Vs pro Sherman HL 2s radio upgrade

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/24 Vs pro Sherman HL 2s radio upgrade

Post by modler »

Greetings, I have been away from this forum for a while but now I am back with some new model work. Some time ago I got a few Tanks from a member here (M3A4 Sherman and a Early Tiger 1) 1/24 Vs pro series battle tanks. These are highly detailed and painted tanks with hi-Q components and nice detail that are worthy of a 2.4G radio upgrade.

I used HL 1/30 scale 1s 2.4G IR battle system Radio in my first upgrade both M4A3, Tiger 1 Tanks. This works very well but the Sherman(M4A3) was a bit too slow for my tastes so decided to go with a HL 1/24 scale 2s 2.4G IR battle system Radio
in the Sherman and tune it to the speed I wanted which is just a bit faster than the Tiger 1. Both of these HL radios are compatible in battle mode with each other and the circuit boards are the same size and all the I\R components are compatible on a circuit board level as well as Battle mode between Tanks :crazy:

Oh, and both systems (1/30-1s\1/24-2s) use the same excellent Transmitters!

Testing reveals that the Sherman now has the proper speed with its new 2s power supply lipo and the Tiger 1 as it is now with 1s system works very well as is so no need to upgrade the Tiger 1 as its speed is perfect as is 8)

I upgraded both to HL 2.4G radio system initially and that was a major improvement but because of the drive motors being designed for 6 cells (~7.2V), the tanks were a bit slow with the 1 cell lipo radio system. So after some time I realized a phase 2 upgrade was in order.

This thread will be about the phase 2 upgrade with 2s lipo using a 1/24 series HL radio system. The new radio system for the M4A3 Sherman comes from 1/24 2s HL IR Leopard 2 Battle Tank. This is a very compact and robust radio system that is ideal for 1/35 - 1/30 - 1/24 IR battle tanks.

I will post pictures asap, just wanted to get something up now as I am working on the project.

This Sherman features:

IR battle system with 4 hit LED scoreboard.
Scale metal barrel
IR LED in the barrel for precise aiming
Variable speed Turret traverse L\R and Barrel U\D
concealable U\D channeled IR energy detector (requires opponent tank precise aiming to score a hit)
Track recoil with Gun recoil
Proportional speed F\R with track spin L\R
Precise\smooth gearbox operation
Full suspension with durable ITL tracks.
Scale functional headlights
Multi stage diesel engine sound, Main gun, machine gun with volume control from TX
Start\standby via TX. Headlights blink when in standby.
2s lipo operation with LVC
4 life LED scoring display under a turret hatch
Attachments
IR LED mounted in the barrel so precise aiming is possible.
IR LED mounted in the barrel so precise aiming is possible.
IMG_0214.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 80623 times
You can close the loaders hatch and the LED's not easily visible so as to not spoil the stock look of the scale Sherman
You can close the loaders hatch and the LED's not easily visible so as to not spoil the stock look of the scale Sherman
IMG_0201.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 80625 times
Here is the Hit scoring LED circuit board installed in the 1/24 Sherman.
Here is the Hit scoring LED circuit board installed in the 1/24 Sherman.
IMG_0202.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 80625 times
Hit scoring LED circuit board from HL 1/30 scale Sherman M4A3. So it is now going in a HL 1/24 Sherman! Yes it is compatible with the 1/30-1/24 main boards.
Hit scoring LED circuit board from HL 1/30 scale Sherman M4A3. So it is now going in a HL 1/24 Sherman! Yes it is compatible with the 1/30-1/24 main boards.
IMG_0198.jpg (864.27 KiB) Viewed 80625 times
2s IR "Blue circuit board" added. Will allow gun recoil function with the new 2s circuit board, The tank commander lost his arm somewhere in the upgrade.
2s IR "Blue circuit board" added. Will allow gun recoil function with the new 2s circuit board, The tank commander lost his arm somewhere in the upgrade.
IMG_0195.jpg (839.12 KiB) Viewed 80643 times
M4A3 Sherman is highly detailed and has super gearbox running gear. very smooth operation mechanically.
M4A3 Sherman is highly detailed and has super gearbox running gear. very smooth operation mechanically.
IMG_0197.jpg (675.69 KiB) Viewed 80643 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”