1/24 Vs pro Sherman HL 2s radio upgrade

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/24 Vs pro Sherman HL 2s radio upgrade

Post by modler »

Greetings, I have been away from this forum for a while but now I am back with some new model work. Some time ago I got a few Tanks from a member here (M3A4 Sherman and a Early Tiger 1) 1/24 Vs pro series battle tanks. These are highly detailed and painted tanks with hi-Q components and nice detail that are worthy of a 2.4G radio upgrade.

I used HL 1/30 scale 1s 2.4G IR battle system Radio in my first upgrade both M4A3, Tiger 1 Tanks. This works very well but the Sherman(M4A3) was a bit too slow for my tastes so decided to go with a HL 1/24 scale 2s 2.4G IR battle system Radio
in the Sherman and tune it to the speed I wanted which is just a bit faster than the Tiger 1. Both of these HL radios are compatible in battle mode with each other and the circuit boards are the same size and all the I\R components are compatible on a circuit board level as well as Battle mode between Tanks :crazy:

Oh, and both systems (1/30-1s\1/24-2s) use the same excellent Transmitters!

Testing reveals that the Sherman now has the proper speed with its new 2s power supply lipo and the Tiger 1 as it is now with 1s system works very well as is so no need to upgrade the Tiger 1 as its speed is perfect as is 8)

I upgraded both to HL 2.4G radio system initially and that was a major improvement but because of the drive motors being designed for 6 cells (~7.2V), the tanks were a bit slow with the 1 cell lipo radio system. So after some time I realized a phase 2 upgrade was in order.

This thread will be about the phase 2 upgrade with 2s lipo using a 1/24 series HL radio system. The new radio system for the M4A3 Sherman comes from 1/24 2s HL IR Leopard 2 Battle Tank. This is a very compact and robust radio system that is ideal for 1/35 - 1/30 - 1/24 IR battle tanks.

I will post pictures asap, just wanted to get something up now as I am working on the project.

This Sherman features:

IR battle system with 4 hit LED scoreboard.
Scale metal barrel
IR LED in the barrel for precise aiming
Variable speed Turret traverse L\R and Barrel U\D
concealable U\D channeled IR energy detector (requires opponent tank precise aiming to score a hit)
Track recoil with Gun recoil
Proportional speed F\R with track spin L\R
Precise\smooth gearbox operation
Full suspension with durable ITL tracks.
Scale functional headlights
Multi stage diesel engine sound, Main gun, machine gun with volume control from TX
Start\standby via TX. Headlights blink when in standby.
2s lipo operation with LVC
4 life LED scoring display under a turret hatch
Attachments
IR LED mounted in the barrel so precise aiming is possible.
IR LED mounted in the barrel so precise aiming is possible.
IMG_0214.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 93620 times
You can close the loaders hatch and the LED's not easily visible so as to not spoil the stock look of the scale Sherman
You can close the loaders hatch and the LED's not easily visible so as to not spoil the stock look of the scale Sherman
IMG_0201.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 93622 times
Here is the Hit scoring LED circuit board installed in the 1/24 Sherman.
Here is the Hit scoring LED circuit board installed in the 1/24 Sherman.
IMG_0202.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 93622 times
Hit scoring LED circuit board from HL 1/30 scale Sherman M4A3. So it is now going in a HL 1/24 Sherman! Yes it is compatible with the 1/30-1/24 main boards.
Hit scoring LED circuit board from HL 1/30 scale Sherman M4A3. So it is now going in a HL 1/24 Sherman! Yes it is compatible with the 1/30-1/24 main boards.
IMG_0198.jpg (864.27 KiB) Viewed 93622 times
2s IR "Blue circuit board" added. Will allow gun recoil function with the new 2s circuit board, The tank commander lost his arm somewhere in the upgrade.
2s IR "Blue circuit board" added. Will allow gun recoil function with the new 2s circuit board, The tank commander lost his arm somewhere in the upgrade.
IMG_0195.jpg (839.12 KiB) Viewed 93640 times
M4A3 Sherman is highly detailed and has super gearbox running gear. very smooth operation mechanically.
M4A3 Sherman is highly detailed and has super gearbox running gear. very smooth operation mechanically.
IMG_0197.jpg (675.69 KiB) Viewed 93640 times
RonV
Recruit

Re: 1/24 Vs pro Sherman HL 2s radio upgrade

Post by RonV »

Hi Modler,
I have 4 VS tanks that i want to do the same upgrades to as you have done.
I can find the 1/24 mother boards on Ebay, but no transmitter. I don't want to buy complete HL tanks to cannibalize.
Do you know if the 1/16 transmitter will work with the 1/24 board? I'm thinking about just using the 1/16 motherboard and transmitter
Attachments
20240428_150103[2820].jpg
20240428_150103[2820].jpg (429.32 KiB) Viewed 413 times
20240428_150003[2821].jpg
20240428_150003[2821].jpg (412.93 KiB) Viewed 413 times
20240428_145723[2823].jpg
20240428_145723[2823].jpg (481.78 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Ziptar
Recruit

Post by Ziptar »

I've yet to see any Heng Long 2.4Ghz transmitters for sale by themselves. I've picked up a couple used 2.4Ghz tanks with transmitters inexpensively $30 to $40 on ebay and craigslist here and there just keep an eye out. As Modler said in his post, the Heng Long 1/30 scale 2.4Ghz transmitters, are exactly the same, buttons and all. I have both the 1/24 and 1/30 tanks and the transmitters will bind to either MCB and all functions work as they should. I'd make you a video to prove it but all of my 1/30 tank stuff and most of my 1/24 tank stuff is in storage while I'm living like a nomad. Compare them here: https://www.henglongtanks.com/collectio ... -rc-tanks . The 1/30 scale MCB is the same as the 1/24 MCB with one minor difference, the barrel elevation circuit isn't complete (but, Modler's already shown us how it can be added. viewtopic.php?p=341422#p341422 :D ). I can only assume Heng Long must've done the math and figured it was cheaper to use the same controller for both rather than making a separate controller for the 1/30 scale tanks without the circuitry for barrel elevation.

Let you in on a little secret, ;) thanks to the 1/30 scale tanks there's an even cheaper source for transmitters. You can find the 1/30 Heng Long tanks on Amazon for ~$40.00 and up but keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. I've purchased a couple "Open Box" from Amazon Warehouse for $22 and $26 with free shipping (Prime).

The 1/30 scale tanks are also available on Toucan Hobby's website for $30.90 curently. https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/th ... f9fe&_ss=c

The 1/16 transmitter will not work with the 1/24 board. You could probably shoe horn the 1/16 scale MCB into it easily enough by cutting out the battery box and using a smaller Li-Ion battery if need be. Wiring should be simple enough, the 1/24 tanks use the same airsoft, turret rotation, and barrel elevation gear boxes as the 1/16 tanks, at least on those I've bought, they are all 2.4Ghz. Those same parts for the 1/24 scale VS Tanks, Waltersons, Tokyo Mauri, and etc parts listed on ebay look virtually the same as Heng Long's 1/16 scale as well. The wiring for the battery and motors is exactly the same. If you do go with the 1/16 scale MCB it would allow you to add a smoker if desired, if you've got any room left over. Build a small one yourself or repurpose one from something else. Take a look on Aliexpress they come in all shapes and sizes.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ziptar wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:27 am I've yet to see any Heng Long 2.4Ghz transmitters for sale by themselves. I've picked up a couple used 2.4Ghz tanks with transmitters inexpensively $30 to $40 on ebay and craigslist here and there just keep an eye out. As Modler said in his post, the Heng Long 1/30 scale 2.4Ghz transmitters, are exactly the same, buttons and all. I have both the 1/24 and 1/30 tanks and the transmitters will bind to either MCB and all functions work as they should. I'd make you a video to prove it but all of my 1/30 tank stuff and most of my 1/24 tank stuff is in storage while I'm living like a nomad. Compare them here: https://www.henglongtanks.com/collectio ... -rc-tanks . The 1/30 scale MCB is the same as the 1/24 MCB with one minor difference, the barrel elevation circuit isn't complete (but, Modler's already shown us how it can be added. viewtopic.php?p=341422#p341422 :D ). I can only assume Heng Long must've done the math and figured it was cheaper to use the same controller for both rather than making a separate controller for the 1/30 scale tanks without the circuitry for barrel elevation.

Let you in on a little secret, ;) thanks to the 1/30 scale tanks there's an even cheaper source for transmitters. You can find the 1/30 Heng Long tanks on Amazon for ~$40.00 and up but keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. I've purchased a couple "Open Box" from Amazon Warehouse for $22 and $26 with free shipping (Prime).

The 1/30 scale tanks are also available on Toucan Hobby's website for $30.90 curently. https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/th ... f9fe&_ss=c

The 1/16 transmitter will not work with the 1/24 board. You could probably shoe horn the 1/16 scale MCB into it easily enough by cutting out the battery box and using a smaller Li-Ion battery if need be. Wiring should be simple enough, the 1/24 tanks use the same airsoft, turret rotation, and barrel elevation gear boxes as the 1/16 tanks, at least on those I've bought, they are all 2.4Ghz. Those same parts for the 1/24 scale VS Tanks, Waltersons, Tokyo Mauri, and etc parts listed on ebay look virtually the same as Heng Long's 1/16 scale as well. The wiring for the battery and motors is exactly the same. If you do go with the 1/16 scale MCB it would allow you to add a smoker if desired, if you've got any room left over. Build a small one yourself or repurpose one from something else. Take a look on Aliexpress they come in all shapes and sizes.

Yes every thing in your post is correct Ziptar ;)

I have cut out the battery boxes in all of my 1/24 conversions. After doing that there is plenty of room in there.
Yes the 1s 1/30 circuit boards can be modified to have main gun Elevation by adding the driver chip but be warned, requires good soldering skills. The 2s boards are a better bet as they can be had for around $22. https://www.ebay.com/itm/116023473282 (Blue board TK24-RXV4)

The RXV4 CB from the link above is currently out of stock but can be found elsewhere on ebay. The RXV4 CB I posted here is the only version to buy IMO.

Beware that there is a vender on ebay that sells a similar looking board(s) (BLACK- Violet RXV1) but they do not work with any TX that I have.
I bought three Black 1s and two Violet 2s RXV1 Circuit Boards from a shady ebay vender and none of them work. That Vender later told me that they use a V1 TX and refused to refund my money as it was 1 week past the return limit. I asked him if if he had a any V1 TX for sell in his ebay store and he said they are not available! :-< So he is selling these useless V1 units so beware!

Pictures below show both versions
Attachments
TK30-RXV3 CB with upgrade chips for adding Turret up\down control. 1 chip added to upgrade.
TK30-RXV3 CB with upgrade chips for adding Turret up\down control. 1 chip added to upgrade.
IMG_1137.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Black, Violet RXV1 CB's. $100+ Junk pile.
Black, Violet RXV1 CB's. $100+ Junk pile.
IMG_1136.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Both are 1/24-2s Circuit Boards. The Blue RXV4 CB is the good one.<br />The Violet RXV1 is JUNK! Don't but that one.
Both are 1/24-2s Circuit Boards. The Blue RXV4 CB is the good one.
The Violet RXV1 is JUNK! Don't but that one.
IMG_1135.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Both are 1/30-1s Circuit Boards. The Green RXV3 CB is a  good one. <br />The Black RXV1 is JUNK! Don't but that one.
Both are 1/30-1s Circuit Boards. The Green RXV3 CB is a good one.
The Black RXV1 is JUNK! Don't but that one.
IMG_1134.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Last edited by modler on Tue May 28, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

RonV wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:02 am Hi Modler,
I have 4 VS tanks that i want to do the same upgrades to as you have done.
I can find the 1/24 mother boards on Ebay, but no transmitter. I don't want to buy complete HL tanks to cannibalize.
Do you know if the 1/16 transmitter will work with the 1/24 board? I'm thinking about just using the 1/16 motherboard and transmitter
Those are nice looking 1/24 Tanks RonV. I would certainly upgrade them to the HL Blue 1/24-2s RXV4 Circuit Boards 8)

There is more info in another thread where I upgrade a HL 1/30 Sherman with a TK30-RXV3 1s to a TK24-RXV4 2s here

viewtopic.php?t=35836
Attachments
TK24-RXV4
TK24-RXV4
IMG_1138.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 189 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”