[Winter] Hummel (late)

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [Winter] Hummel (late)

Post by Ecam »

I found, but have not ordered yet a micro roller chain called "S10" The specs. say it has a pitch (between links) of .125" or 3.175mm overall width and height of .114 / 3.65mm and a pull strength of 220 lbs. almost 100 kilos .02 pounds/ft. (9.07 grams). Not sure if that is small enough...

And making a tire mold is also what I'm looking as well. A printed wheel should be straight forward enough.

I should probably put together the 35th reference model. The soft side cab was typically used with the trailer that had the "bridges" over the trailer tires. I am still trying to work out a gear ratio difference between the front axle and the chained rear set. The transfer case used in both dukws was about 2 to 1. Modifying the input to be a through shaft and only reducing the front drive, with the right chain drive ratio it could work out.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

MrChef wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:45 pm Impressive work with the AT-AT.

Now, "Winter" or shall it be "Spring" or "Summer" Hummel?

Can't wait to see it in TOTM soon.
Thank you MrChef!

Yeah it's going to be more likely a summer Hummel 😂
At least until I practice some winter wash on 1/35 stuff to be sure to not ruin the paint!!
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Ecam wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:17 pm I found, but have not ordered yet a micro roller chain called "S10" The specs. say it has a pitch (between links) of .125" or 3.175mm overall width and height of .114 / 3.65mm and a pull strength of 220 lbs. almost 100 kilos .02 pounds/ft. (9.07 grams). Not sure if that is small enough...

And making a tire mold is also what I'm looking as well. A printed wheel should be straight forward enough.

I should probably put together the 35th reference model. The soft side cab was typically used with the trailer that had the "bridges" over the trailer tires. I am still trying to work out a gear ratio difference between the front axle and the chained rear set. The transfer case used in both dukws was about 2 to 1. Modifying the input to be a through shaft and only reducing the front drive, with the right chain drive ratio it could work out.
I don't know if that would be small enough, not sure we can something perfect at 1/16... Close would be nice enough.

I always wanted the Tamiya kit as a kid, and it would be a nice model to take measurements off in order to build a larger model, but it's quite expensive. My fav version is the armored cab.

I bought some rubber like Urethane from Smooth On. I haven't tried it yet but that's what I'm going to use. Gonna also use that to make tires on my HL Sherman M4a1 !

You're far ahead of me regarding the gear ratio etc with all the experience you had with your DUKWs, I can't wait to see your Dragon Wagon!! You'll have a very good choice of Shermans to put on the trailer! :D
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I have the Tamiya combo kit (tractor/trailer) as well as the tractor only. Just pulled it out today and will start some calculations.

I too like the armored cab better, but it has been done a few times, Ad Lav's was amazing!viewtopic.php?t=23841

Eric
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

MonsieurTox wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 pm Thank you MrChef!

At least until I practice some winter wash on 1/35 stuff to be sure to not ruin the paint!!
:thumbup:

Good idea, exactly why I practiced the whitewash on my T34 first.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

MrChef wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:23 pm
MonsieurTox wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 pm Thank you MrChef!

:thumbup:

Good idea, exactly why I practiced the whitewash on my T34 first.
I gonna look what you all guys have done with winter camp and watch some YouTube tutorials (I think Nightshift have made some!). I've already bought all the stuff for it, but I'm a bit scared, I'm not a great painter and I never get the result I had in mind or what I saw on other builds while using the same stuff and same techniques. 😂
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Ecam wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:39 pm I have the Tamiya combo kit (tractor/trailer) as well as the tractor only. Just pulled it out today and will start some calculations.

I too like the armored cab better, but it has been done a few times, Ad Lav's was amazing!viewtopic.php?t=23841
Nice! The Tamiya kit will be a great base to get an accurate model, can't wait to see what you come with!

Oh yes I already saw Ad Lav's fantastic build, he used the same Tamiya Scania than the one I have as a base! But I'm a bit reluctant to canibalized mine. 😂
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I think it could be done without chopping up a whole Tamiya Semi. Like the big DUKW, I'd only need the rear-most drive axle and locate another front drive (will ask Sassgrunt where that one came from). Granted The Tamiya offers some great parts for a more complete start. I will have to try and find those Lego tires Ad Lav used.

Eric
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

I can model and 3d print some tires if I get correct measurements and ref for them. Then they could be use for making a mold!

Yes I won't touch the Scania for that!!

Return to “Group Builds”